An owner or custodian of a dog who permits the dog to be uncontrolled off the owner's or custodian's premises shall have the dog identified in one of the following ways:
(1) by a device, tag, or plate attached to the dog by a collar, harness, or device giving the name, address, and telephone number of the current owner;
(2) by an electronically activated identification device within or attached to the body of the dog through which the owner can be promptly identified;
(3) by a number legibly tattooed on the thigh, abdomen, or ear of the dog through which the owner can be promptly identified using information from official dog registries, city or county registries, veterinary hospital registries, or driver's license records;
(4) by an official license tag of a city or county through which the owner can be promptly identified; or
(5) by a current rabies vaccination tag or other identification device of a city, a county, or a veterinarian through which the owner can be promptly identified.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes