"Actuary" means a person who is a member in good standing of the American Academy of Actuaries.
"Controlling person" means a person, firm, association, or corporation who directly or indirectly has the power to direct or cause to be directed, the management, control, or activities of the reinsurance intermediary.
"Insurer" means any person, firm, association, or corporation duly licensed in this state pursuant to the applicable provisions of the insurance law as an insurer.
"Licensed producer" means an agent, broker, or reinsurance intermediary licensed pursuant to the applicable provision of the insurance law.
"Reinsurance intermediary" means a reinsurance intermediary-broker or a reinsurance intermediary-manager.
"Reinsurance intermediary-broker" or "RB" means any person, other than an officer or employee of the ceding insurer, firm, association, or corporation who solicits, negotiates, or places reinsurance cessions or retrocessions on behalf of a ceding insurer without the authority or power to bind reinsurance on behalf of this insurer.
"Reinsurance intermediary-manager" or "RM" means any person, firm, association, or corporation who has authority to bind or manages all or part of the assumed reinsurance business of a reinsurer, including the management of a separate division, department, or underwriting office, and acts as an agent for that reinsurer whether known as an RM, manager, or other similar term. However, the following persons are not considered an RM, with respect to that reinsurer, for the purposes of sections 60A.70 to 60A.756:
(1) an employee of the reinsurer;
(2) a United States manager of the United States branch of an alien reinsurer;
(3) an underwriting manager which, pursuant to contract, manages all or part of the reinsurance operations of the reinsurer, is under common control with the reinsurer, subject to the Holding Company Act, and whose compensation is not based on the volume of premiums written; or
(4) the manager of a group, association, pool, or organization of insurers which engage in joint underwriting or joint reinsurance and who are subject to examination by the insurance commissioner of the state in which the manager's principal business office is located.
"Reinsurer" means a person, firm, association, or corporation licensed in this state as an insurer with the authority to assume reinsurance.
"To be in violation" means that the reinsurance intermediary, insurer, or reinsurer for whom the reinsurance intermediary was acting failed to substantially comply with the provisions of sections 60A.70 to 60A.756.
"Qualified United States financial institution" means an institution that:
(1) is organized, or in the case of a United States office of a foreign banking organization, is licensed, under the laws of the United States or any state;
(2) is regulated, supervised, and examined by United States federal or state authorities having regulatory authority over banks and trust companies; and
(3) has been determined by either the commissioner, or the securities valuation office of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, to meet the standards of financial condition and standing considered necessary and appropriate to regulate the quality of financial institutions whose letters of credit will be acceptable to the commissioner.