The commissioner shall issue retired law enforcement license special plates or a single motorcycle plate to an applicant who:
(1) is a registered owner of a passenger automobile, noncommercial one-ton pickup truck, motorcycle, or recreational vehicle;
(2) is a retired peace officer as defined in section 626.84, subdivision 1, paragraph (c) or (d);
(3) provides a letter from the chief law enforcement officer affirming that the applicant is a retired peace officer who served ten or more years and separated in good standing;
(4) pays a fee in the amount specified for special plates under section 168.12, subdivision 5, for each set of plates, along with any other fees required by this chapter;
(5) pays the registration tax as required under section 168.013; and
(6) complies with this chapter and rules governing registration of motor vehicles and licensing of drivers.
The commissioner shall design an emblem and inscription for the special plates, in consultation with interested law enforcement agencies and organizations.
On application to the commissioner and payment of a transfer fee of $5, special plates issued under this section may be transferred to another motor vehicle if the subsequent vehicle is:
(1) qualified under subdivision 1, clause (1), to bear the special plates; and
(2) registered to the same individual to whom the special plates were originally issued.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes