The board may issue a certificate of registration as an athletic trainer to applicants who meet the requirements under this section. An applicant for registration as an athletic trainer shall pay a fee under section 148.7815 and file a written application on a form, provided by the board, that includes:
(1) the applicant's name, Social Security number, home address and telephone number, business address and telephone number, and business setting;
(2) evidence satisfactory to the board of the successful completion of an education program approved by the board;
(3) educational background;
(4) proof of a baccalaureate or master's degree from an accredited college or university;
(5) credentials held in other jurisdictions;
(6) a description of any other jurisdiction's refusal to credential the applicant;
(7) a description of all professional disciplinary actions initiated against the applicant in any other jurisdiction;
(8) any history of drug or alcohol abuse, and any misdemeanor or felony conviction;
(9) evidence satisfactory to the board of a qualifying score on a credentialing examination;
(10) additional information as requested by the board;
(11) the applicant's signature on a statement that the information in the application is true and correct to the best of the applicant's knowledge and belief; and
(12) the applicant's signature on a waiver authorizing the board to obtain access to the applicant's records in this state or any other state in which the applicant has completed an education program approved by the board or engaged in the practice of athletic training.
(a) The board may register by reciprocity an applicant who:
(1) submits the application materials and fees required under subdivision 1, clauses (1) to (8) and (10) to (12);
(2) provides a verified copy of a current and unrestricted credential for the practice of athletic training in another jurisdiction that has credentialing requirements equivalent to or more stringent than the requirements under subdivision 1; and
(3) provides letters of verification from the credentialing body in each jurisdiction in which the applicant holds a credential. Each letter must include the applicant's name, date of birth, credential number, date of issuance of the credential, a statement regarding disciplinary actions taken against the applicant, and the terms under which the credential was issued.
(b) An applicant for registration by reciprocity who has applied for registration under subdivision 1 and meets the requirements of paragraph (a), clause (1), may apply to the board for temporary registration under subdivision 4.
(a) The board may issue a temporary registration as an athletic trainer to qualified applicants. A temporary registration is issued for 120 days. An athletic trainer with a temporary registration may qualify for full registration after submission of verified documentation that the athletic trainer has achieved a qualifying score on a credentialing examination within 120 days after the date of the temporary registration. A temporary registration may not be renewed.
(b) Except as provided in subdivision 3, paragraph (a), clause (1), an applicant for a temporary registration must submit the application materials and fees for registration required under subdivision 1, clauses (1) to (8) and (10) to (12).
(c) An athletic trainer with a temporary registration shall work only under the direct supervision of an athletic trainer registered under this section. No more than two athletic trainers with temporary registrations shall work under the direction of a registered athletic trainer.
The board may issue a temporary permit to practice as an athletic trainer to an applicant eligible for registration under this section if the application for registration is complete, all applicable requirements in this section have been met, and a nonrefundable fee set by the board has been paid. The permit remains valid only until the meeting of the board at which a decision is made on the athletic trainer's application for registration.