Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Capital IconMinnesota Legislature

Office of the Revisor of Statutes


(a) The commissioner, upon due consideration of recommendations and objections as provided in paragraph (c), may issue a public-waters-work permit to establish a control elevation for a public water with an outlet that is different than any previously existing or established control level when:

(1) all of the property abutting the ordinary high-water mark of the public water is in public ownership or the public entity has obtained permanent flowage easements; and

(2) the commissioner finds that the proposed change in the control level is in the public interest and causes minimal adverse environmental impact.

(b) In addition to the requirements in section 103G.301, subdivision 6, if the proposed control elevation differs from any historical control level, the permit applicant shall serve a copy of the application on each county and municipality within which any portion of the lake is located and on the lake improvement district, if one exists.

(c) A county, municipality, watershed district, watershed management organization, or lake improvement district required to be served under paragraph (b) or section 103G.301, subdivision 6, may file a written recommendation for the issuance of the permit or an objection to the issuance of the permit with the commissioner within 30 days after receiving a copy of the application.

Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes