This is an historical version of this statute chapter. Also view the most recent published version.
(a) The definitions in this subdivision apply to this section.
(b) "Gift" means money, real or personal property, a service, a loan, a forbearance or forgiveness of indebtedness, or a promise of future employment, that is given and received without the giver receiving consideration of equal or greater value in return.
(c) "Official" means a public official, an employee of the legislature, or a local official of a metropolitan governmental unit.
A lobbyist or principal may not give a gift or request another to give a gift to an official. An official may not accept a gift from a lobbyist or principal.
(a) The prohibitions in this section do not apply if the gift is:
(1) a contribution as defined in section 10A.01, subdivision 11;
(2) services to assist an official in the performance of official duties, including but not limited to providing advice, consultation, information, and communication in connection with legislation, and services to constituents;
(3) services of insignificant monetary value;
(4) a plaque with a resale value of $5 or less;
(5) a trinket or memento costing $5 or less;
(6) informational material with a resale value of $5 or less; or
(7) food or a beverage given at a reception, meal, or meeting if:
(i) the reception, meal, or meeting is held away from the recipient's place of work by an organization before whom the recipient appears to make a speech or answer questions as part of a program; or
(ii) the recipient is a member or employee of the legislature and an invitation to attend the reception, meal, or meeting was provided to all members of the legislature at least five days prior to the date of the event.
(b) The prohibitions in this section do not apply if the gift is given:
(1) because of the recipient's membership in a group, a majority of whose members are not officials, and an equivalent gift is given to the other members of the group; or
(2) by a lobbyist or principal who is a member of the family of the recipient, unless the gift is given on behalf of someone who is not a member of that family.
Copyright © 2016 by the Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota. All rights reserved.