To establish a new drainage system under this chapter, the petitioners and drainage authority must proceed according to this section and the provisions applicable to establishment of drainage projects.
The petition for a new drainage system must be signed by a majority of the owners of the property that the proposed drainage system described in the petition passes over, or by the property owners of at least 60 percent of the area that the proposed new drainage system passes over.
The petition must:
(1) describe the 40-acre tracts or government lots and property where the proposed new drainage system passes over, including names and addresses of the property owners from records in the county assessor's office;
(2) describe the starting point, the general course, and the terminus of the proposed drainage system;
(3) state why the proposed drainage system is necessary;
(4) state that the proposed drainage system will benefit and be useful to the public and will promote public health; and
(5) state that the petitioners will pay all costs of the proceedings if the proceedings are dismissed or the contract for the construction of the proposed drainage system is not awarded.