For purposes of this section, the following definitions apply:
(a) "Medical response unit" means an organized service recognized by a local political subdivision whose primary responsibility is to respond to medical emergencies to provide initial medical care before the arrival of a licensed ambulance service.
(b) "Specialized medical response unit" means an organized service recognized by a board-approved authority other than a local political subdivision that responds to medical emergencies as needed or as required by local procedure or protocol.
The board may establish registration for medical response units and specialized medical response units.
To be registered with the board, a medical response unit must:
(1) submit an application form prescribed by the board;
(2) have a medical director according to section 144E.265;
(3) be staffed by at least one emergency medical responder or one emergency medical technician, as appropriate to the level of care given;
(4) submit a letter from the appropriate municipality, township, or county governing body recognizing the medical response unit as the unit in its geographical area designated to respond to a medical emergency; and
(5) be dispatched to the scene of a medical emergency on a routine basis by a public safety answering point, as defined under section 403.02, subdivision 19, or an ambulance service.
To be registered with the board, a specialized medical response unit must:
(1) meet the qualifications described in subdivision 3, clauses (1) to (3); and
(2) submit documentation from a board-approved authority other than a local political subdivision recognizing the specialized medical response unit as a unit designated to respond to medical emergencies as needed or required by local procedure or protocol.
The medical response unit registration expires two years from the date it is issued. The board may stagger expiration dates in order to be consistent with the provisions of Minnesota Rules, part 4690.7900.
The board may renew the registration of a medical response unit or specialized medical response unit upon:
(1) submission, before the registration expiration date, of a completed renewal application form as prescribed by the board;
(2) compliance with subdivision 3, clauses (2) to (5), for a medical response unit or compliance with subdivision 3, clauses (2) and (3), and subdivision 4, clause (2), for a specialized medical response unit; and
(3) the provision of any other information as requested by the board.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes