There is imposed an excise tax on gasoline, gasoline blended with ethanol, and agricultural alcohol gasoline used in producing and generating power for propelling motor vehicles used on the public highways of this state. The tax is imposed on the first licensed distributor who received the product in Minnesota. For purposes of this section, gasoline is defined in section 296A.01, subdivisions 10, 18, 20, 23, 24, 25, 32, and 34. The tax is payable at the time and in the form and manner prescribed by the commissioner. The tax is payable at the rates specified in subdivision 3, subject to the exceptions and reductions specified in section 296A.17.
Subject to the provisions of section 296A.16, subdivision 2, there is imposed an excise tax, at the same rate per gallon as the gasoline excise tax, on all marine gasoline received, sold, stored, or withdrawn from storage in this state. This tax is payable at the times, in the manner, and by persons specified in this chapter.
The gasoline excise tax is imposed at the following rates:
(1) E85 is taxed at the rate of 17.75 cents per gallon;
(2) M85 is taxed at the rate of 14.25 cents per gallon; and
(3) all other gasoline is taxed at the rate of 25 cents per gallon.
The provisions of subdivision 1 do not apply to gasoline or denatured ethanol purchased by:
(2) an ambulance service licensed under chapter 144E; or
(3) a licensed distributor to be delivered to a terminal for use in blending.