Each district shall develop and implement a comprehensive, written policy governing pupil transportation safety, including transportation of nonpublic school students, when applicable. The policy, at minimum, must contain:
(1) provisions for appropriate student bus safety training under section 123B.90;
(2) rules governing student conduct on school buses and in school bus loading and unloading areas;
(3) a statement of parent or guardian responsibilities relating to school bus safety;
(4) an intradistrict system for reporting school bus accidents or misconduct and a system for dealing with local law enforcement officials in cases of criminal conduct on a school bus;
(5) a discipline policy to address violations of school bus safety rules, including procedures for revoking a student's bus riding privileges in cases of serious or repeated misconduct;
(6) a system for integrating school bus misconduct records with other discipline records;
(7) where applicable, provisions governing bus monitor qualifications, training, and duties;
(8) rules governing the use and maintenance of type III vehicles, drivers of type III vehicles, qualifications to drive a type III vehicle, qualifications for a type III vehicle, and the circumstances under which a student may be transported in a type III vehicle;
(9) operating rules and procedures;
(10) emergency procedures;
(11) a system for maintaining and inspecting equipment; and
(12) any other requirements of the school district.
A nonpublic or charter school student transported by a public school district shall comply with student bus conduct and student bus discipline policies of the transporting public school district.
Each board shall designate a school transportation safety director to oversee and implement pupil transportation safety policies. The director shall have day-to-day responsibility for pupil transportation safety within the district, including transportation of nonpublic school children when provided by the district.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes