(a) The definitions in this subdivision apply to this section.
(b) "Gift" means money, real or personal property, a service, a loan, a forbearance or forgiveness of indebtedness, or a promise of future employment, that is given and received without the giver receiving consideration of equal or greater value in return.
(c) "Official" means a public official, an employee of the legislature, or a local official of a metropolitan governmental unit.
A lobbyist or principal may not give a gift or request another to give a gift to an official. An official may not accept a gift from a lobbyist or principal.
(a) The prohibitions in this section do not apply if the gift is:
(1) a contribution as defined in section 10A.01, subdivision 11;
(2) services to assist an official in the performance of official duties, including but not limited to providing advice, consultation, information, and communication in connection with legislation, and services to constituents;
(3) services of insignificant monetary value;
(4) a plaque with a resale value of $5 or less;
(5) a trinket or memento costing $5 or less;
(6) informational material of unexceptional value; or
(7) food or a beverage given at a reception, meal, or meeting away from the recipient's place of work by an organization before whom the recipient appears to make a speech or answer questions as part of a program.
(b) The prohibitions in this section do not apply if the gift is given:
(1) because of the recipient's membership in a group, a majority of whose members are not officials, and an equivalent gift is given to the other members of the group; or
(2) by a lobbyist or principal who is a member of the family of the recipient, unless the gift is given on behalf of someone who is not a member of that family.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes