Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Minnesota Legislature

Office of the Revisor of Statutes


Subdivision 1.License required.

(a) No person shall engage in or work at the business of a master plumber, restricted master plumber, journeyman plumber, and restricted journeyman plumber unless licensed to do so by the state commissioner. A license is not required for individuals performing building sewer or water service installation who have completed pipe laying training as prescribed by the commissioner of labor and industry. A master plumber may also work as a journeyman plumber, a restricted journeyman plumber, and a restricted master plumber. A journeyman plumber may also work as a restricted journeyman plumber. Anyone not so licensed may do plumbing work which complies with the provisions of the minimum standards prescribed by the Plumbing Board on premises or that part of premises owned and actually occupied by the worker as a residence, unless otherwise forbidden to do so by a local ordinance.

(b) No person shall engage in the business of planning, superintending, or installing plumbing or shall install plumbing in connection with the dealing in and selling of plumbing material and supplies unless at all times a licensed master plumber, or in cities and towns with a population of fewer than 5,000 according to the federal census, a restricted master plumber, who shall be responsible for proper installation, is in charge of the plumbing work of the person, firm, or corporation.

Subd. 2. Bond; insurance.

Any person contracting to do plumbing work must give bond to the state in the amount of $25,000 for all work entered into within the state. The bond shall be for the benefit of persons injured or suffering financial loss by reason of failure to comply with the requirements of the State Plumbing Code. The bond shall be filed with the commissioner and shall be written by a corporate surety licensed to do business in the state.

In addition, each applicant for a master plumber license or restricted master plumber license, or renewal thereof, shall provide evidence of public liability insurance, including products liability insurance with limits of at least $50,000 per person and $100,000 per occurrence and property damage insurance with limits of at least $10,000. The insurance shall be written by an insurer licensed to do business in the state of Minnesota and each licensed master plumber shall maintain on file with the commissioner a certificate evidencing the insurance providing that the insurance shall not be canceled without the insurer first giving 15 days written notice to the commissioner. The term of the insurance shall be concurrent with the term of the license.

Subd. 3. Bond and insurance exemption.

If a master plumber or restricted master plumber who is in compliance with the bond and insurance requirements of subdivision 2, employs a licensed plumber, the employee plumber shall not be required to meet the bond and insurance requirements of subdivision 2. An individual who is an employee working on the maintenance and repair of plumbing equipment, apparatus, or facilities owned or leased by the individual's employer and which is within the limits of property owned or leased, and operated or maintained by the individual's employer, shall not be required to meet the bond and insurance requirements of subdivision 2.

Subd. 4.Fee.

Each person giving bond to the state under subdivision 2 shall pay the department an annual bond registration fee of $40.

Subd. 5. Exterior connections.

Persons licensed as manufactured home installers under chapter 327B are not required to be licensed under sections 326B.42 to 326B.49 when connecting the exterior building drain sewer outlets to the aboveground building sewer system and when connecting the exterior water line to the aboveground water system to the manufactured home as described in National Manufactured Housing Construction and Safety Standards Act of 1974, United States Code, title 42, section 5401 et seq. No additional licensure, bond, or insurance related to the scope of work permitted under this subdivision may be required of a licensed manufactured home installer by any unit of government.