(a) The provisions of this chapter shall not be deemed to prevent local authorities, with respect to streets and highways under their jurisdiction, and with the consent of the commissioner, with respect to state trunk highways, within the corporate limits of a municipality, or within the limits of a town in a county in this state now having or which may hereafter have, a population of 500,000 or more, and a land area of not more than 600 square miles, and within the reasonable exercise of the police power from:
(1) regulating the standing or parking of vehicles;
(2) regulating traffic by means of police officers or traffic-control signals;
(3) regulating or prohibiting processions or assemblages on the highways;
(4) designating particular highways as one-way roadways and requiring that all vehicles, except emergency vehicles, when on an emergency run, thereon be moved in one specific direction;
(5) designating any highway as a through highway and requiring that all vehicles stop before entering or crossing the same, or designating any intersection as a stop intersection, and requiring all vehicles to stop at one or more entrances to such intersections;
(6) restricting the use of highways as authorized in sections 169.80 to 169.88.
(b) No ordinance or regulation enacted under paragraph (a), clause (4), (5), or (6), shall be effective until signs giving notice of such local traffic regulations are posted upon and kept posted upon or at the entrance to the highway or part thereof affected as may be most appropriate.
(c) No ordinance or regulation enacted under paragraph (a), clause (3), or any other provision of law shall prohibit:
(1) the use of motorcycles or vehicles utilizing flashing red lights for the purpose of escorting funeral processions, oversize buildings, heavy equipment, parades or similar processions or assemblages on the highways; or
(2) the use of motorcycles or vehicles that are owned by the funeral home and that utilize flashing red lights for the purpose of escorting funeral processions.
(2720-158) 1937 c 464 s 8; 1939 c 359; 1957 c 130 s 2; 1969 c 429 s 1; 2002 c 316 s 1
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes