The board shall establish a two-year continuing education reporting schedule requiring licensees to report completion of the requirements of this section. Licensees must document completion of a minimum of 40 clock hours of continuing education activities each reporting period. A licensee may be given credit only for activities that directly relate to the practice of alcohol and drug counseling, the core functions, or the Rules of Professional Conduct in Minnesota Rules, part 4747.1400. The continuing education reporting form must require reporting of the following information:
(1) the continuing education activity title;
(2) a brief description of the continuing education activity;
(3) the sponsor, presenter, or author;
(4) the location and attendance dates;
(5) the number of clock hours; and
(6) a statement that the information is true and correct to the best knowledge of the licensee.
Only continuing education obtained during the previous two-year reporting period may be considered at the time of reporting. Clock hours must be earned and reported in increments of one-half clock hour with a minimum of one clock hour for each continuing education activity.
A licensee must, as part of meeting the clock hour requirement of this section, obtain and document 18 hours of cultural diversity training within the first four years after the licensee's initial license effective date according to the board's reporting schedule. Cultural diversity training includes gaining knowledge in areas described in Minnesota Rules, part 4747.1100, subpart 2, and in identified population groups defined in Minnesota Rules, part 4747.0030, subpart 20.
Beginning four years following a licensee's initial license effective date and according to the board's reporting schedule, a licensee must document completion of a minimum of six clock hours each reporting period of cultural diversity training. Licensees must also document completion of six clock hours in courses directly related to the Rules of Professional Conduct in Minnesota Rules, part 4747.1400.
In order to obtain clock hour credit for a continuing education activity, the activity must:
(1) constitute an organized program of learning;
(2) reasonably be expected to advance the knowledge and skills of the alcohol and drug counselor;
(3) pertain to subjects that directly relate to the practice of alcohol and drug counseling and the core functions of an alcohol and drug counselor, or the Rules of Professional Conduct in Minnesota Rules, part 4747.1400;
(4) be conducted by individuals who have education, training, and experience and are knowledgeable about the subject matter; and
(5) be presented by a sponsor who has a system to verify participation and maintains attendance records for three years, unless the sponsor provides dated evidence to each participant with the number of clock hours awarded.
A licensee may obtain a maximum of six clock hours in any two-year continuing education period for teaching course work in an accredited school or educational program that meets the requirements of section 148C.04, subdivision 5a. A licensee may earn a maximum of two clock hours as preparation time for each clock hour of presentation time. Clock hours may be claimed only once per course in any two-year continuing education period. The licensee shall maintain a course schedule or brochure for audit.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes