86B.415 LICENSE FEES.
Subdivision 1. Watercraft 19 feet or less.
The fee for a watercraft license for watercraft 19
feet or less in length is $27 except:
(1) for watercraft, other than personal watercraft, 19 feet in length or less that is offered for
rent or lease, the fee is $9;
(2) for a canoe, kayak, sailboat, sailboard, paddle boat, or rowing shell 19 feet in length
or less, the fee is $10.50;
(3) for a watercraft 19 feet in length or less used by a nonprofit corporation for teaching boat
and water safety, the fee is as provided in subdivision 4;
(4) for a watercraft owned by a dealer under a dealer's license, the fee is as provided in
(5) for a personal watercraft, the fee is $37.50; and
(6) for a watercraft less than 17 feet in length, other than a watercraft listed in clauses (1)
to (5), the fee is $18.
Subd. 2. Watercraft over 19 feet.
Except as provided in subdivisions 3, 4, and 5, the
watercraft license fee:
(1) for a watercraft more than 19 feet but less than 26 feet in length is $45;
(2) for a watercraft 26 feet but less than 40 feet in length is $67.50; and
(3) for a watercraft 40 feet in length or longer is $90.
Subd. 3. Watercraft over 19 feet for hire.
The license fee for a watercraft more than 19 feet
in length for hire with an operator is $75 each.
Subd. 4. Watercraft used by nonprofit corporation for teaching.
The watercraft license fee
for a watercraft used by a nonprofit organization for teaching boat and water safety is $4.50 each.
Subd. 5. Dealer's license.
There is no separate fee for watercraft owned by a dealer under a
dealer's license. The fee for a dealer's license is $67.50.
Subd. 6. Transfer or duplicate license.
The fee to transfer a watercraft license or be issued a
duplicate license is $4.50.
Subd. 7. Watercraft surcharge.
A $5 surcharge is placed on each watercraft licensed under
subdivisions 1 to 5 for control, public awareness, law enforcement, monitoring, and research of
aquatic invasive species such as zebra mussel, purple loosestrife, and Eurasian water milfoil in
public waters and public wetlands.
Subd. 7a.[Repealed, 1999 c 231 s 207
Subd. 8. Registrar's fee.
In addition to other fees prescribed by law, a filing fee of $4.50
shall be charged for each watercraft license renewal, duplicate or replacement license, and
replacement decal and a filing fee of $7 shall be charged for each watercraft license and license
transfer issued by:
(1) the registrar or a deputy registrar of motor vehicles and the additional fee shall be
disposed of in the manner provided in section
168.33, subdivision 2
(2) the commissioner and the additional fee shall be deposited in the state treasury and
credited to the water recreation account.
Subd. 9. Disposition of receipts.
Money received for watercraft licenses shall be deposited
in the state treasury and credited to the water recreation account.
Subd. 10. Accounting.
The commissioner of natural resources, in agreement with the
commissioner of public safety, may prescribe the accounting and procedural requirements
necessary to assure efficient handling of watercraft registrations and license fees by deputy
registrars. Deputy registrars shall strictly comply with these accounting and procedural
Subd. 11. Refunds.
The commissioner may issue a refund on a license or title, not including
any issuing fees paid under subdivision 8 or section
84.027, subdivision 15
, paragraph (a), clause
86B.870, subdivision 1
, paragraph (b), if the refund request is received within 12 months
of the original license or title and:
(1) the watercraft was licensed or titled incorrectly by the commissioner or the deputy
(2) the customer was incorrectly charged a title fee; or
(3) the watercraft was licensed or titled twice, once by the dealer and once by the customer.
History: 1990 c 391 art 9 s 24; 1991 c 199 art 1 s 12; 1991 c 254 art 2 s 19; 1992 c 594 s
10; 1993 c 235 s 3; 1995 c 220 s 73,74; 1998 c 401 s 28,29; 1999 c 231 s 112; 2003 c 128 art 1 s
47; 2004 c 243 s 37; 1Sp2005 c 1 art 2 s 58-64