Subdivision 1. Words, terms, and phrases.
Unless the language or context clearly indicates
that a different meaning is intended, the word defined in subdivision 2, for the purposes of sections
, shall be given the meaning subjoined to it; and the word defined in subdivision
3, for the purposes of chapters 46 to 83, shall be given the meaning subjoined to it.
Subd. 2. Bank.
The word "bank" means any savings bank or bank of discount or deposit or
trust company organized under the laws of this state.
Subd. 3. Department.
"Department" means the Department of Commerce of the state of
Subd. 4. Commissioner.
"Commissioner" means the commissioner of commerce.
Subd. 5. Special purpose bank.
"Special purpose bank" means a bank as defined in
subdivision 2 that:
(1) engages only in credit card operations as authorized in section
(2) does not accept demand deposits or deposits that the depositor may withdraw by check or
similar means for payment to third parties or others;
(3) does not accept savings or time deposits of less than $100,000;
(4) maintains only one office that accepts deposits; and
(5) does not engage in the business of making commercial loans.
History: (4000) 1925 c 261 s 1,2; 1983 c 289 s 21,22,114 subd 2; 1985 c 248 s 12; 1995 c
202 art 1 s 4; 1997 c 157 s 3