429.101 UNPAID SPECIAL CHARGES MAY BE SPECIAL ASSESSMENTS.
Subdivision 1. Ordinances.
(a) In addition to any other method authorized by law or charter,
the governing body of any municipality may provide for the collection of unpaid special charges
for all or any part of the cost of:
(1) snow, ice, or rubbish removal from sidewalks;
(2) weed elimination from streets or private property;
(3) removal or elimination of public health or safety hazards from private property, excluding
any structure included under the provisions of sections
(4) installation or repair of water service lines, street sprinkling or other dust treatment
(5) the trimming and care of trees and the removal of unsound trees from any street;
(6) the treatment and removal of insect infested or diseased trees on private property, the
repair of sidewalks and alleys;
(7) the operation of a street lighting system;
(8) the operation and maintenance of a fire protection or a pedestrian skyway system;
(9) reinspections which find noncompliance after the due date for compliance with an order
to correct a municipal housing maintenance code violation;
(10) the recovery of any disbursements under section
504B.445, subdivision 4
, clause (5),
including disbursements for payment of utility bills and other services, even if provided by
a third party, necessary to remedy violations as described in section
504B.445, subdivision 4
clause (2); or
(11) [Repealed, 2004 c 275 s 5
as a special assessment against the property benefited.
(b) The council may by ordinance adopt regulations consistent with this section to make
this authority effective, including, at the option of the council, provisions for placing primary
responsibility upon the property owner or occupant to do the work personally (except in the
case of street sprinkling or other dust treatment, alley repair, tree trimming, care, and removal
or the operation of a street lighting system) upon notice before the work is undertaken, and
for collection from the property owner or other person served of the charges when due before
unpaid charges are made a special assessment.
Subd. 2. Procedure for assessment.
Any special assessment levied under subdivision 1 shall
be payable in a single installment, or by up to ten equal annual installments as the council may
provide. With this exception, sections
shall apply to assessments
made under this section.
Subd. 3. Issuance of obligations.
(a) After a contract for any of the work enumerated in
subdivision 1 has been let, or the work commenced, the council may issue obligations to defray
the expense of any such work financed in whole or in part by special charges and assessments
imposed upon benefited property under this section.
shall apply to such obligations with the following modifications:
(1) such obligations shall be payable not more than two years from the date of issuance;
(2) the amount of such obligations issued at one time in a municipality shall not exceed the
cost of such work during the ensuing six months as estimated by the council;
(3) a separate improvement fund shall be set up for each of the enumerated services referred
to in subdivision 1 and financed under this section.
(c) Proceeds of special charges as well as special assessments and taxes shall be credited
to such improvement fund.
History: 1953 c 398 s 10; 1955 c 811 s 6; 1963 c 771 s 5; 1965 c 323 s 2; 1973 c 337 s
1; 1974 c 340 s 1,2; 1984 c 548 s 7; 1984 c 582 s 7; 1984 c 591 s 6; 1984 c 633 s 5; 1986 c
444; 1Sp2003 c 21 art 11 s 29; 2004 c 275 s 2