299N.02 BOARD OF FIREFIGHTER TRAINING AND EDUCATION.
Subdivision 1. Membership.
Notwithstanding any provision of chapter 15 to the contrary,
the Board of Firefighter Training and Education consists of the following members:
(1) five members representing the Minnesota State Fire Department Association, four of
whom must be volunteer firefighters and one of whom may be a career firefighter, appointed
by the governor;
(2) two members representing the Minnesota State Fire Chiefs Association, one of whom
must be a volunteer fire chief, appointed by the governor;
(3) two members representing the Minnesota Professional Firefighters Association,
appointed by the governor;
(4) two members representing Minnesota home rule charter and statutory cities, appointed
by the governor;
(5) two members representing Minnesota towns, appointed by the governor;
(6) the commissioner of public safety or the commissioner's designee; and
(7) one public member not affiliated or associated with any member or interest represented in
clauses (1) to (6), appointed by the governor.
The Minnesota State Fire Department Association shall recommend five persons to be the
members described in clause (1), the Minnesota State Fire Chiefs Association shall recommend
two persons to be the members described in clause (2), the Minnesota Professional Firefighters
Association shall recommend two persons to be the members described in clause (3), the
League of Minnesota Cities shall recommend two persons to be the members described in
clause (4), and the Minnesota Association of Townships shall recommend two persons to be the
members described in clause (5). In making the appointments the governor shall try to achieve
representation from all geographic areas of the state.
Subd. 2. Terms; chair; compensation.
Members of the board shall serve for terms of four
years and annually elect a chair from among the members. Terms and filling of vacancies are
subject to section
15.0575, subdivisions 2, 4, and 5
. Members serve without compensation.
Subd. 3. Powers and duties.
(a) The board shall:
(1) review fire service training needs and make recommendations on training to Minnesota
fire service organizations;
(2) establish standards for educational programs for the fire service and develop procedures
for continuing oversight of the programs; and
(3) establish qualifications for fire service training instructors in programs established under
(b) The board may:
(1) hire or contract for technical or professional services according to section
(2) pay expenses necessary to carry out its duties;
(3) apply for, receive, and accept grants, gifts, devises, and endowments that any entity may
make to the board for the purposes of this chapter and may use any money given to it consistent
with the terms and conditions under which the money was received and for the purposes stated;
(4) make recommendations to the legislature to improve the quality of firefighter training;
(5) collect and provide data, subject to section
(6) conduct studies and surveys and make reports; and
(7) conduct other activities necessary to carry out its duties.
History: 2000 c 344 s 2,4; 2001 c 7 s 63; 2005 c 110 s 1; 2007 c 54 art 7 s 20