Subdivision 1. Terms.
For the purposes of sections
the terms defined in this
section shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them.
Subd. 2. Child.
"Child" means a person under the age of 18 years.
Subd. 3. Parent.
"Parent" means the natural or adoptive parent of a child.
Subd. 4. Guardian.
"Guardian" means a guardian of the ward appointed by a court of
Subd. 5. Commissioner.
"Commissioner" means the commissioner of human services
of the state of Minnesota.
Subd. 6. Agency.
"Agency" means an organization or department of government designated
or authorized by law to place children for adoption or any person, group of persons, organization,
association or society licensed or certified by the commissioner of human services to place
children for adoption, including a Minnesota federally recognized tribe.
Subd. 7. Petitioner.
"Petitioner" means a person with spouse, if there be one, petitioning
for the adoption of any person or persons pursuant to sections
. In the case of
adoption by a stepparent, the parent who is the stepparent's spouse shall not be required to join
Subd. 8. Placement.
"Placement" means the transfer of physical custody of a child from a
birth parent or legal guardian to a prospective adoptive home.
Subd. 9. Placement activities.
"Placement activities" means any of the following:
(2) arranging or providing short-term foster care pending an adoptive placement;
(3) facilitating placement by maintaining a list in any form of birth parents or prospective
(4) collecting health and social histories of a birth family;
(5) conducting an adoption study;
(6) witnessing consents to an adoption; or
(7) engaging in any activity listed in clauses (1) to (6) for purposes of fulfilling any
requirements of the interstate compact on the placement of children.
Subd. 10. Direct adoptive placement.
"Direct adoptive placement" means the placement of
a child by a birth parent or legal guardian other than an agency under the procedure for adoption
authorized by section
Subd. 11. Working day.
"Working day" means Monday through Friday, excluding any
holiday as defined under section
645.44, subdivision 5
Subd. 12. Putative father.
"Putative father" means a man who may be a child's father,
(1) is not married to the child's mother on or before the date that the child was or is to be
(2) has not established paternity of the child according to section
in a court
proceeding before the filing of a petition for the adoption of the child.
"Putative father" includes a male who is less than 18 years old.
History: 1951 c 508 s 1; 1953 c 593 s 2; 1973 c 725 s 49; 1984 c 654 art 5 s 58; 1986 c 444;
1987 c 3 s 1; 1994 c 631 s 8-11,31; 1997 c 218 s 7; 1Sp2003 c 14 art 6 s 53; 2005 c 10 art 4 s 15