181.952 POLICY CONTENTS; PRIOR WRITTEN NOTICE.
Subdivision 1. Contents of the policy.
An employer's drug and alcohol testing policy must,
at a minimum, set forth the following information:
(1) the employees or job applicants subject to testing under the policy;
(2) the circumstances under which drug or alcohol testing may be requested or required;
(3) the right of an employee or job applicant to refuse to undergo drug and alcohol testing
and the consequences of refusal;
(4) any disciplinary or other adverse personnel action that may be taken based on a
confirmatory test verifying a positive test result on an initial screening test;
(5) the right of an employee or job applicant to explain a positive test result on a confirmatory
test or request and pay for a confirmatory retest; and
(6) any other appeal procedures available.
Subd. 2. Notice.
An employer shall provide written notice of its drug and alcohol testing
policy to all affected employees upon adoption of the policy, to a previously nonaffected
employee upon transfer to an affected position under the policy, and to a job applicant upon hire
and before any testing of the applicant if the job offer is made contingent on the applicant passing
drug and alcohol testing. An employer shall also post notice in an appropriate and conspicuous
location on the employer's premises that the employer has adopted a drug and alcohol testing
policy and that copies of the policy are available for inspection during regular business hours by
its employees or job applicants in the employer's personnel office or other suitable locations.
History: 1987 c 388 s 3