174.01 CREATION; POLICY.
Subdivision 1. Department created.
In order to provide a balanced transportation system,
including aeronautics, highways, motor carriers, ports, public transit, railroads, and pipelines,
a Department of Transportation is created. The department is the principal agency of the state
for development, implementation, administration, consolidation, and coordination of state
transportation policies, plans, and programs.
Subd. 2. Transportation goals.
The goals of the state transportation system are as follows:
(1) to provide safe transportation for users throughout the state;
(2) to provide multimodal and intermodal transportation that enhances mobility and
economic development and provides access to all persons and businesses in Minnesota while
ensuring that there is no undue burden placed on any community;
(3) to provide a reasonable travel time for commuters;
(4) to provide for the economical, efficient, and safe movement of goods to and from markets
by rail, highway, and waterway;
(5) to encourage tourism by providing appropriate transportation to Minnesota facilities
designed to attract tourists;
(6) to provide transit services throughout the state to meet the needs of transit users;
(7) to promote productivity through system management and the utilization of technological
(8) to maximize the benefits received for each state transportation investment;
(9) to provide funding for transportation that, at a minimum, preserves the transportation
(10) to ensure that the planning and implementation of all modes of transportation are
consistent with the environmental and energy goals of the state;
(11) to increase high-occupancy vehicle use;
(12) to provide an air transportation system sufficient to encourage economic growth and
allow all regions of the state the ability to participate in the global economy;
(13) to increase transit use in the urban areas by giving highest priority to the transportation
modes with the greatest people moving capacity; and
(14) to promote and increase bicycling as an energy-efficient, nonpolluting, and healthful
History: 1976 c 166 s 1; 1991 c 298 art 1 s 1