168.1298 SPECIAL "SUPPORT OUR TROOPS" PLATES.
Subdivision 1. General requirements and procedures.
(a) The commissioner shall issue
special "Support Our Troops" license plates to an applicant who:
(1) is an owner of a passenger automobile, one-ton pickup truck, recreational vehicle, or
(2) pays a fee of $10 to cover the costs of handling and manufacturing the plates;
(3) pays the registration tax required under section
(4) pays the fees required under this chapter;
(5) contributes a minimum of $30 annually to the Minnesota "Support Our Troops" account
established in section
(6) complies with laws and rules governing registration and licensing of vehicles and drivers.
(b) The license application under this section must indicate that the annual contribution
specified under paragraph (a), clause (5), is a minimum contribution to receive the plates and that
the applicant may make an additional contribution to the account.
Subd. 2. Design.
After consultation with interested groups, the adjutant general and the
commissioner of veterans affairs shall design the special plate, subject to the approval of the
Subd. 3. No refund.
Contributions under this section must not be refunded.
Subd. 4. Plate transfers.
168.12, subdivision 1
, on payment of
a transfer fee of $5, plates issued under this section may be transferred to another passenger
automobile, one-ton pickup truck, recreational vehicle, or motorcycle owned by the individual to
whom the special plates were issued.
Subd. 5. Contribution and fees credited.
Contributions under subdivision 1, paragraph (a),
clause (5), must be paid to the commissioner and credited to the Minnesota "Support Our Troops"
account established in section
. The fees collected under this section must be deposited in
the vehicle services operating account in the special revenue fund.
Subd. 6. Record.
The commissioner shall maintain a record of the number of plates issued
under this section.
History: 2005 c 156 art 2 s 30