144E.275 MEDICAL RESPONSE UNIT REGISTRATION.
Subdivision 1. Definition.
For purposes of this section, the following definitions apply:
(a) "Medical response unit" means an organized service recognized by a local political
subdivision whose primary responsibility is to respond to medical emergencies to provide initial
medical care before the arrival of a licensed ambulance service.
(b) "Specialized medical response unit" means an organized service recognized by a
board-approved authority other than a local political subdivision that responds to medical
emergencies as needed or as required by local procedure or protocol.
Subd. 2. Registration.
The board may establish registration for medical response units and
specialized medical response units.
Subd. 3. Medical response unit qualifications.
To be registered with the board, a medical
response unit must:
(1) submit an application form prescribed by the board;
(2) have a medical director according to section
(3) be staffed by at least one first responder or one emergency medical technician, as
appropriate to the level of care given;
(4) submit a letter from the appropriate municipality, township, or county governing body
recognizing the medical response unit as the unit in its geographical area designated to respond to
a medical emergency; and
(5) be dispatched to the scene of a medical emergency on a routine basis by a public safety
answering point, as defined under section
403.02, subdivision 19
, or an ambulance service.
Subd. 4. Specialized medical response unit qualifications.
To be registered with the board,
a specialized medical response unit must:
(1) meet the qualifications described in subdivision 3, clauses (1) to (3); and
(2) submit documentation from a board-approved authority other than a local political
subdivision recognizing the specialized medical response unit as a unit designated to respond to
medical emergencies as needed or required by local procedure or protocol.
Subd. 5. Expiration.
The medical response unit registration expires two years from the date
it is issued. The board may stagger expiration dates in order to be consistent with the provisions of
Minnesota Rules, part 4690.7900
Subd. 6. Renewal.
The board may renew the registration of a medical response unit or
specialized medical response unit upon:
(1) submission, before the registration expiration date, of a completed renewal application
form as prescribed by the board;
(2) compliance with subdivision 3, clauses (2) to (5), for a medical response unit or
compliance with subdivision 3, clauses (2) and (3), and subdivision 4, clause (2), for a specialized
medical response unit; and
(3) the provision of any other information as requested by the board.
History: 2002 c 310 s 1