123B.91 SCHOOL DISTRICT BUS SAFETY RESPONSIBILITIES.
Subdivision 1. Comprehensive policy.
Each district shall develop and implement a
comprehensive, written policy governing pupil transportation safety, including transportation of
nonpublic school students, when applicable. The policy, at minimum, must contain:
(1) provisions for appropriate student bus safety training under section
(2) rules governing student conduct on school buses and in school bus loading and unloading
(3) a statement of parent or guardian responsibilities relating to school bus safety;
(4) an intradistrict system for reporting school bus accidents or misconduct and a system for
dealing with local law enforcement officials in cases of criminal conduct on a school bus;
(5) a discipline policy to address violations of school bus safety rules, including procedures
for revoking a student's bus riding privileges in cases of serious or repeated misconduct;
(6) a system for integrating school bus misconduct records with other discipline records;
(7) where applicable, provisions governing bus monitor qualifications, training, and duties;
(8) rules governing the use and maintenance of type III vehicles, drivers of type III vehicles,
qualifications to drive a type III vehicle, qualifications for a type III vehicle, and the circumstances
under which a student may be transported in a type III vehicle;
(9) operating rules and procedures;
(10) emergency procedures;
(11) a system for maintaining and inspecting equipment; and
(12) any other requirements of the school district.
Subd. 1a. Compliance by nonpublic and charter school students.
A nonpublic or charter
school student transported by a public school district shall comply with student bus conduct and
student bus discipline policies of the transporting public school district.
Subd. 2. School transportation safety director.
Each board shall designate a school
transportation safety director to oversee and implement pupil transportation safety policies. The
director shall have day-to-day responsibility for pupil transportation safety within the district,
including transportation of nonpublic school children when provided by the district.
History: 1994 c 647 art 12 s 14; 1Sp1995 c 3 art 2 s 8,9; art 16 s 13; 1998 c 397 art 7 s
9,164; art 11 s 3; 1998 c 398 art 6 s 21; 1999 c 241 art 9 s 24; 2000 c 489 art 6 s 15; 1Sp2003 c
9 art 1 s 8; 2006 c 263 art 2 s 10