123B.76 EXPENDITURES; REPORTING.
Subdivision 1. Recognition.
District expenditures must be recognized and reported on the
district books of account in accordance with this section.
Fiscal year-end recognition of expenditures and the related offsetting liabilities must be
recorded in each fund in accordance with the uniform financial accounting and reporting standards
for Minnesota school districts. Encumbrances outstanding at the end of the fiscal year do not
constitute expenditures or liabilities.
Deviations from the principles set forth in this subdivision must be evaluated and explained
in footnotes to audited financial statements.
Subd. 2. Accounting.
Expenditures for any legal purpose of the district not accounted for
elsewhere must be accounted for in the general fund.
Subd. 3. Expenditures by building.
(a) For the purposes of this section, "building" means
education site as defined in section
123B.04, subdivision 1
(b) Each district shall maintain separate accounts to identify general fund expenditures
for each building. All expenditures for regular instruction, secondary vocational instruction,
and school administration must be reported to the department separately for each building. All
expenditures for special education instruction, instructional support services, and pupil support
services provided within a specific building must be reported to the department separately for
each building. Salary expenditures reported by building must reflect actual salaries for staff at the
building and must not be based on districtwide averages. All other general fund expenditures may
be reported by building or on a districtwide basis.
(c) The department must annually report information showing school district general fund
expenditures per pupil by program category for each building and estimated school district
general fund revenue generated by pupils attending each building on its Web site. For purposes of
(1) expenditures not reported by building shall be allocated among buildings on a uniform
per pupil basis;
(2) basic skills revenue shall be allocated according to section
126C.10, subdivision 4
(3) secondary sparsity revenue and elementary sparsity revenue shall be allocated according
126C.10, subdivisions 7 and 8
(4) alternative teacher compensation revenue shall be allocated according to section
, subdivision 1;
(5) other general education revenue shall be allocated on a uniform per pupil unit basis;
(6) first grade preparedness aid shall be allocated according to section
(7) state and federal special education aid and Title I aid shall be allocated in proportion to
district expenditures for these programs by building; and
(8) other general fund revenues shall be allocated on a uniform per pupil basis, except that
the department may allocate other revenues attributable to specific buildings directly to those
History: 1976 c 271 s 29; 1980 c 609 art 7 s 4; 1981 c 358 art 7 s 8,9; 1993 c 224 art 12 s
12; 1996 c 412 art 1 s 2; 1998 c 397 art 6 s 17,124; 2004 c 294 art 1 s 3; 1Sp2005 c 5 art
1 s 4; 2006 c 263 art 1 s 3