12.13 NUCLEAR POWER PLANT EMERGENCY RESPONSE PLANNING.
Subdivision 1. Plan development.
The state director, in cooperation with the commissioner
of health and affected political subdivisions, shall develop the state and local portions of the
emergency operations plans specified in the licensing of each nuclear power plant located in
Subd. 2. Need assessment; program development.
In addition to requirements imposed
by federal law, the state director shall assess the need for protective actions required to mitigate
the effect of an incident at a nuclear power plant, and carry out nuclear power plant emergency
operations planning including, but not limited to:
(1) purchasing equipment for the state and political subdivisions, including public warning
systems, protective devices, and communication systems, and preparing public information
materials and educational programs;
(2) coordinating the development of a detailed state and local nuclear emergency operations
planning information system for areas surrounding each nuclear plant;
(3) training state and local emergency response personnel;
(4) developing accident scenarios and exercises for nuclear emergency operations plans; and
(5) providing other specialized response equipment necessary.
Subd. 3. Assistance.
The director shall provide necessary assistance to other state agencies
and political subdivisions to improve the state's nuclear power plant emergency response capacity.
History: 1980 c 611 s 2; 1996 c 344 s 7