Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Capital IconMinnesota Legislature

Office of the Revisor of Statutes

    Subdivision 1. General requirements. Unless exempted in subdivision 1a, a person may not
operate and an owner may not give permission for another to operate an all-terrain vehicle within
the state unless the vehicle has been registered with the commissioner of natural resources, or is
exempt from registration.
    Subd. 1a. Exemptions. All-terrain vehicles exempt from registration are:
(1) vehicles owned and used by the United States, the state, another state, or a political
(2) vehicles registered in another state or country that have not been in this state for more
than 30 consecutive days; and
(3) vehicles used exclusively in organized track racing events.
    Subd. 2. Application, issuance, reports. (a) Application for registration or continued
registration shall be made to the commissioner or an authorized deputy registrar of motor vehicles
in a form prescribed by the commissioner. The form must state the name and address of every
owner of the vehicle.
(b) A person who purchases an all-terrain vehicle from a retail dealer shall make application
for registration to the dealer at the point of sale. The dealer shall issue a dealer temporary ten-day
registration permit to each purchaser who applies to the dealer for registration. The dealer shall
submit the completed registration application and fees to the deputy registrar at least once each
week. No fee may be charged by a dealer to a purchaser for providing the temporary permit.
(c) Upon receipt of the application and the appropriate fee, the commissioner or deputy
registrar shall issue to the applicant, or provide to the dealer, an assigned registration number or a
commissioner or deputy registrar temporary ten-day permit. Once issued, the registration number
must be affixed to the vehicle in a manner prescribed by the commissioner. A dealer subject to
paragraph (b) shall provide the registration materials or temporary permit to the purchaser within
the ten-day temporary permit period. The commissioner shall use the snowmobile registration
system to register vehicles under this section.
(d) Each deputy registrar of motor vehicles acting under section 168.33, is also a deputy
registrar of all-terrain vehicles. The commissioner of natural resources in agreement with
the commissioner of public safety may prescribe the accounting and procedural requirements
necessary to assure efficient handling of registrations and registration fees. Deputy registrars shall
strictly comply with the accounting and procedural requirements.
(e) In addition to other fees prescribed by law, a filing fee of $4.50 is charged for
each all-terrain vehicle registration renewal, duplicate or replacement registration card, and
replacement decal and a filing fee of $7 is charged for each all-terrain vehicle registration and
registration transfer issued by:
(1) a deputy registrar and shall be deposited in the treasury of the jurisdiction where the
deputy is appointed, or retained if the deputy is not a public official; or
(2) the commissioner and shall be deposited to the state treasury and credited to the all-terrain
vehicle account in the natural resources fund.
    Subd. 2a. Private use registration. All-terrain vehicles may be registered for private use
that are used exclusively for private or agricultural use or used exclusively on private property.
Private use registration is valid from the date of issuance until ownership of the all-terrain vehicle
is transferred. Private or agricultural use registrations are not transferable.
    Subd. 3. Registration card; signature. The commissioner shall provide to the registrant a
registration card that includes the registration number, the date of registration, the make and serial
number of the vehicle, the owner's name and address, and additional information the commissioner
may require. Information concerning each registration shall be retained by the commissioner.
The registration is not valid unless signed by at least one owner. Upon a satisfactory showing
that the registration card has been lost or destroyed the commissioner shall issue a replacement
registration card upon payment of a fee of $4. The fees collected from replacement registration
cards shall be deposited in the all-terrain vehicle account in the natural resources fund.
    Subd. 4. Report of transfers. A person who sells or transfers ownership of a vehicle
registered under this section shall report the sale or transfer to the commissioner within 15 days of
the date of transfer. An application for transfer must be executed by the registered owner and
the purchaser on a form prescribed by the commissioner with the owner's registration certificate,
a bill of sale and a $4 fee.
    Subd. 5. Fees for registration. (a) The fee for a three-year registration of an all-terrain
vehicle under this section, other than those registered by a dealer or manufacturer under paragraph
(b) or (c), is:
(1) for public use before January 1, 2005, $23;
(2) for public use on January 1, 2005, and after, $30;
(3) for private use, $6; and
(4) for a duplicate or transfer, $4.
(b) The total registration fee for all-terrain vehicles owned by a dealer and operated for
demonstration or testing purposes is $50 per year. Dealer registrations are not transferable.
(c) The total registration fee for all-terrain vehicles owned by a manufacturer and operated
for research, testing, experimentation, or demonstration purposes is $150 per year. Manufacturer
registrations are not transferable.
(d) The fees collected under this subdivision must be credited to the all-terrain vehicle
    Subd. 6. Renewal. Every owner of an all-terrain vehicle must renew registration in a manner
prescribed by the commissioner upon payment of the registration fees in subdivision 5.
    Subd. 7. Vehicles owned by state or political subdivision. A registration number must be
issued without the payment of a fee for all-terrain vehicles owned by the state or a political
subdivision upon application.
    Subd. 8.[Repealed, 1989 c 331 s 26]
    Subd. 9. Licensing by political subdivisions. No political subdivision of this state shall
require licensing or registration of all-terrain vehicles covered by sections 84.92 to 84.929.
    Subd. 10. Registration by minors prohibited. No person under the age of 18 may register
an all-terrain vehicle.
    Subd. 11. Proof of sales tax payment. A person applying for initial registration in Minnesota
of an all-terrain vehicle shall provide a purchaser's certificate showing a complete description
of the all-terrain vehicle, the seller's name and address, the full purchase price of the all-terrain
vehicle, and the trade-in allowance, if any. The certificate also must include information showing
either that (1) the sales and use tax under chapter 297A was paid, or (2) the purchase was exempt
from tax under chapter 297A. The certificate is not required if the applicant provides a receipt,
invoice, or other document that shows the all-terrain vehicle was purchased from a retailer
maintaining a place of business in this state as defined in section 297A.66, subdivision 1.
    Subd. 12. Refunds. The commissioner may issue a refund on a registration, not including any
issuing fees paid under subdivision 2, paragraph (e), or section 84.027, subdivision 15, paragraph
(a), clause (3), if the refund request is received within 12 months of the original registration and:
(1) the vehicle was registered incorrectly by the commissioner or the deputy registrar; or
(2) the vehicle was registered twice, once by the dealer and once by the customer.
History: 1984 c 647 s 2; 1986 c 452 s 2-9; 1989 c 331 s 9-12; 1989 c 335 art 4 s 18;
1995 c 220 s 62; 1996 c 410 s 21; 2001 c 185 s 13,14; 1Sp2001 c 5 art 7 s 2; 2003 c 128 art 1
s 29,30; 1Sp2005 c 1 art 2 s 39,40

Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes