82A.05 DISCLOSURE STATEMENT.
Subdivision 1. Delivery.
A disclosure statement shall be delivered to each person to whom
an offer is made before or concurrently with:
(1) the first written offer other than offer by means of an advertisement; or
(2) any payment pursuant to a sale, whichever occurs first.
Each person to whom an offer is made must be afforded a reasonable opportunity to examine
the disclosure statement and must be permitted to retain the statement. The seller shall obtain a
receipt, signed by the person, acknowledging that the person has received a copy of the disclosure
statement prior to the execution by the purchaser of any membership camping contract. All
receipts shall be kept in files which are in the possession of the membership camping operator or
broker subject to inspection by the commissioner, for a period of three years from the date of
Subd. 2. Contents.
A disclosure statement shall include the following information:
(1) the name, principal address, and telephone number of the membership camping operator
and of its offices in this state;
(2) a brief description of the membership camping operator's experience in the membership
camping business, including the number of years the membership camping operator has been in
the membership camping business;
(3) a brief description of the campgrounds owned or operated by the membership
camping operator and represented as available for use by purchasers, including identification
of the amenities then available for use by purchasers, whether amenities will be available to
nonpurchasers and, if so, the price to nonpurchasers therefor;
(4) a statement of whether or not the operator has obtained a bond, deposited funds in an
escrow account, obtained an irrevocable letter of credit, or provided any other assurance securing
the cost of the amenities which are represented as planned to be constructed or installed in
the future for use by purchasers and, if so, the identity of the amenities and the year in which
completion is estimated to occur;
(5) a description of the nature of the purchaser's title to, interest in, or right or license to
use the campgrounds and amenities;
(6) a description of the membership camping operator's ownership of, or other right to use,
the campground and amenities represented to be available for use by purchasers, together with
a brief description of any material blanket or other material encumbrance on the campground,
and the material provisions of any agreements which materially restrict a purchaser's use of the
property, and a statement of the consequences to purchasers in the event of any conveyances of
the campgrounds or foreclosure or other adverse action which can be taken with respect to the
(7) a statement or summary of what required material discretionary land use permits, the
issuance of which is in the discretion of the issuing governmental authority, have not been
obtained for each campground located in this state, and a description of the conditions that must
be met to obtain the permits that have not yet been obtained;
(8) a summary and copy of the articles, bylaws, rules, restrictions, or covenants regulating
the purchaser's use of each campground and amenities on each campground in this state, including
a statement of whether and how the articles, bylaws, rules, restrictions, or covenants may be
changed; provided that the foregoing need not include any rules adopted in response to unique
local or immediate needs if the rules are posted at the campground;
(9) a description of all payments required of a purchaser under a membership camping
contract, including initial fees and any further fees, charges or assessments, together with any
provisions for changing the payments;
(10) a description of any restraints on the transfer of membership camping contracts;
(11) a statement of the assistance, if any, that the membership camping operator will provide
to the purchaser in the resale of membership camping contracts;
(12) a description of the policies of the membership camping operator relating to the
availability of camping sites and whether reservations are required;
(13) a description of the membership camping operator's right to change or withdraw from
use all or a material portion of the campgrounds or amenities and the extent to which the operator
is obligated to replace campgrounds or amenities withdrawn;
(14) a description of any grounds for forfeiture of a membership camping contract;
(15) a statement of the person's right to cancel the membership camping contract as provided
(16) a statement describing all material terms and conditions of any reciprocal program
represented to be available to purchasers, including whether the purchaser's participation in the
reciprocal program is dependent upon the continued participation of the membership camping
operator in the reciprocal program and whether the membership camping operator reserves the
right to terminate the participation; and
(17) such additional information as may be reasonably required by the commissioner to
assure full and fair disclosure of all material facts to prospective purchasers.
Subd. 3. Use.
The disclosure statement shall not be used for any promotional purpose
before registration of the membership camping contracts and after registration, when required
to be delivered pursuant to subdivision 1, it shall be used only in its entirety. A person may not
advertise or represent that the commissioner has approved or recommended the membership
camping contracts or sale thereof. A portion of the disclosure statement may not be underscored,
italicized, or printed in larger or heavier or different color type than the remainder of the statement
if the effect is to render the statement misleading or deceptive.
Subd. 4. Contract as disclosure statement.
A membership camping contract which contains
all of the information required by subdivision 2 shall be deemed to be a disclosure statement within
the meaning of this section. Delivery of such a membership camping contract shall be sufficient
compliance with the requirements imposed by this section for delivery of a disclosure statement.
Subd. 5. Other law.
Any disclosure statement which complies with the requirements of
any federal law or the laws of any other state requiring substantially the same disclosure of
information as is required by this section, may by rule or order of the commissioner be deemed to
be in full or partial compliance with this section.
Subd. 6. Separate disclosure.
If the membership camping operator or that person's
salespeople represents to a prospective purchaser that the operator plans to construct or install
any amenities in the future, but the operator has not guaranteed to do so and has not provided
assurances that the amenities will be installed pursuant to section
82A.04, subdivision 2
(13)(iv), the operator shall furnish a separate disclosure to the prospective purchaser. The
separate disclosure shall be in 10-point bold type and shall state: NOTICE: PURCHASE THIS
MEMBERSHIP CAMPING CONTRACT ONLY ON THE BASIS OF EXISTING AMENITIES.
CONSTRUCTION OF PLANNED AMENITIES IS NOT GUARANTEED. CONSTRUCTION
MAY BE DEFERRED, REVISED, OR CANCELED FOR A VARIETY OF REASONS. THE
PLANNED AMENITIES FOR THIS CAMPGROUND ARE (Insert list of amenities, including
estimated year of completion of each). IF THE SALESPERSON DESCRIBES A SIGNIFICANT
AMENITY WHICH IS NOT ON THIS LIST, TELEPHONE COLLECT OR TOLL FREE TO
(Insert headquarters telephone number) TO VERIFY THE OPERATOR'S PLAN FOR SUCH A
The separate disclosure shall be delivered to each person to whom an offer is made before
or concurrently with:
(1) the first written offer other than offer by means of an advertisement; or
(2) any payment pursuant to a sale, whichever is first.
The seller shall obtain a receipt, signed by the person, acknowledging that the person has
received a copy of the separate disclosure required herein prior to the execution by the purchaser
of any membership camping contract. All receipts shall be kept in files which are in the possession
of the membership camping operator or broker subject to inspection by the commissioner for a
period of three years from the date of the receipt.
History: 1985 c 129 s 5; 1985 c 248 s 70; 1986 c 444; 1995 c 233 art 2 s 56