41D.01 MINNESOTA AGRICULTURE EDUCATION LEADERSHIP COUNCIL.
Subdivision 1. Establishment; membership.
(a) The Minnesota Agriculture Education
Leadership Council is established. The council is composed of 16 members as follows:
(1) the chair of the University of Minnesota agricultural education program;
(2) a representative of the commissioner of education;
(3) a representative of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities recommended by
(4) the president and the president-elect of the Minnesota Association of Agriculture
(5) a representative of the Future Farmers of America Foundation;
(6) a representative of the commissioner of agriculture;
(7) the dean of the College of Agriculture, Food, and Environmental Sciences at the
University of Minnesota;
(8) two members representing agriculture education and agriculture business appointed
by the governor;
(9) the chair of the senate Committee on Agriculture, General Legislation and Veterans
(10) the chair of the house Committee on Agriculture;
(11) the ranking minority member of the senate Committee on Agriculture, General
Legislation and Veterans Affairs, and a member of the senate Education Committee designated by
the Subcommittee on Committees of the Committee on Rules and Administration; and
(12) the ranking minority member of the house Agriculture Committee, and a member of the
house Education Committee designated by the speaker.
(b) An ex officio member of the council under paragraph (a), clause (1), (4), (7), (9),
(10), (11), or (12), may designate a permanent or temporary replacement member representing
the same constituency.
Subd. 2. Powers and duties.
Specific powers and duties of the council are to:
(1) develop recommendations to the legislature and the governor and provide review for
agriculture education programs in Minnesota;
(2) establish a grant program to foster and encourage the development of secondary and
postsecondary agriculture education programs;
(3) coordinate and articulate Minnesota's agriculture education policy across all programs
(4) identify the critical needs for agriculture educators;
(5) serve as a link between the agribusiness sector and the agriculture education system to
communicate mutual concerns, needs, and projections;
(6) establish and maintain an increased awareness of agriculture education and its continued
need to all citizens of Minnesota;
(7) operate the Minnesota Center for Agriculture Education created in section
(8) gain broad public support for agriculture education in Minnesota; and
(9) report annually on its activities to the senate Agriculture and Rural Development
Committee and the house Agriculture Committee.
Subd. 3. Council officers; terms and compensation of appointees; staff.
(a) The chair of
the senate Agriculture, General Legislation and Veterans Affairs Committee and the chair of the
house Agriculture Committee, or their designees, are the cochairs of the council.
(b) The council's membership terms, compensation, filling of vacancies, and removal of
members are as provided in section
(c) The council may employ an executive director and any other staff to carry out its
Subd. 4. Expiration.
This section expires on June 30, 2008.
History: 1997 c 183 art 3 s 2; 2001 c 6 s 1-3; 2003 c 107 s 27; 2003 c 130 s 12; 2003
c 133 art 2 s 1