17.4981 GENERAL CONDITIONS FOR REGULATION OF AQUATIC FARMS.
Aquatic farms are licensed to culture private aquatic life. Cultured aquatic life is not wildlife.
Aquatic farms must be licensed and given classifications to prevent or minimize impacts on
natural resources. The purpose of sections
(1) prevent public aquatic life from entering an aquatic farm;
(2) prevent release of nonindigenous or exotic species into public waters without approval
of the commissioner;
(3) protect against release of disease pathogens to public waters;
(4) protect existing natural aquatic habitats and the wildlife dependent on them; and
(5) protect private aquatic life from unauthorized taking or harvest.
Private aquatic life that is legally acquired and possessed is an article of interstate commerce
and may be restricted only as necessary to protect state fish and water resources.
History: 1992 c 566 s 1