168A.085 APPLICATION FOR TITLE OR REGISTRATION, CERTAIN CASES.
Subdivision 1. Limitations.
No application for certificate of title or registration may be
issued for a vehicle that was not manufactured in compliance with applicable federal emission
standards in force at the time of manufacture as provided by the Clean Air Act, United States
Code, title 42, sections 7401 through 7642, and regulations adopted pursuant thereto, and safety
standards as provided by the National Traffic and Motor Safety Act, United States Code, title
15, sections 1381 through 1431, and regulations adopted pursuant thereto, unless the applicant
furnishes either proof satisfactory to the agent that the vehicle was not brought into the United
States from outside the country or all of the following:
(1) a bond release letter, with all attachments, issued by the United States Department of
Transportation acknowledging receipt of a statement of compliance submitted by the importer of
the vehicle and that the statement meets the safety requirements as provided by Code of Federal
Regulations, title 19, section 12.80(e);
(2) a bond release letter, with all attachments, issued by the United States Environmental
Protection Agency stating that the vehicle has been tested and known to be in conformity with
federal emission requirements; and
(3) a receipt or certificate issued by the United States Department of the Treasury showing
that any gas-guzzler taxes due on the vehicle as provided by Public Law 95-618, title 2, section
201(a), have been fully paid.
Subd. 2. Accompanying documents.
The application for certificate of title and the
application for registration must be accompanied by a manufacturer's certificate of origin in the
English language which was issued by the actual vehicle manufacturer and either:
(1) the original documents constituting valid proof of ownership in the country in which the
vehicle was originally purchased, together with a translation of the documents into the English
language verified as to accuracy of the translation by affidavit of the translator; or
(2) with regard to a vehicle imported from a country that cancels the vehicle registration and
title for export, a bond as required by section
168A.07, subdivision 1
, clause (2).
History: 1988 c 634 s 9