168A.03 EXEMPT VEHICLES.
Subdivision 1. No certificate issued.
The registrar shall not issue a certificate of title for:
(1) a vehicle owned by the United States;
(2) a vehicle owned by a nonresident and not required by law to be registered in this state;
(3) a vehicle owned by a nonresident and regularly engaged in the interstate transportation of
persons or property for which a currently effective certificate of title has been issued in another
(4) a vehicle moved solely by animal power;
(5) an implement of husbandry;
(6) special mobile equipment;
(7) a self-propelled wheelchair or invalid tricycle;
(8) a trailer (i) having a gross weight of 4,000 pounds or less unless a secured party holds an
interest in the trailer or a certificate of title was previously issued by this state or any other state or
(ii) designed primarily for agricultural purposes except a recreational vehicle or a manufactured
home, both as defined in section
168.011, subdivisions 8 and 25
(9) a snowmobile.
Subd. 2. Dealers.
No certificate of title need be obtained for a vehicle owned by a
manufacturer or dealer and held for sale, even though incidentally moved on the highway or used
pursuant to section
, or a vehicle used by a manufacturer solely for testing.
History: 1971 c 162 s 3; 1981 c 365 s 9; 2000 c 426 s 15; 2003 c 127 art 1 s 2; 2006 c
212 art 1 s 23