123B.93 ADVERTISING ON SCHOOL BUSES.
(a) The commissioner, through a competitive process, may contract with advertisers
regarding advertising on school buses. At a minimum, the contract must prohibit advertising
and advertising images that:
(1) solicit the sale of, or promote the use of, alcoholic beverages and tobacco products;
(2) are discriminatory in nature or content;
(3) imply or declare an endorsement of the product or service by the school district;
(4) contain obscene material;
(5) are false, misleading, or deceptive; or
(6) relate to an illegal activity or antisocial behavior.
(b) Advertisement must meet the following conditions:
(1) the advertising attached to the school bus does not interfere with bus identification
(2) the bus with attached advertising meets the school bus equipment standards under
(c) All buses operated by school districts may be attached with advertisements under the
state contract. All school district contracts shall include a provision for advertisement. Each
school district shall be reimbursed by the advertiser for all costs incurred by the district and its
contractors for supporting the advertising program, including, but not limited to, retrofitting buses,
storing advertising, attaching advertising to the bus, and related maintenance.
(d) The commissioner shall hold harmless and indemnify each district for all liabilities
arising from the advertising program. Each district must tender defense of all such claims to
the commissioner within five days of receipt.
(e) All revenue from the contract shall be deposited in the general fund.
History: 1Sp1997 c 4 art 12 s 1; 1998 c 397 art 4 s 51; 1Sp2003 c 9 art 12 s 7