Subdivision 1. Petition.
(a) Persons that own property in the vicinity of an existing drainage
system may petition for a lateral that connects their property with the drainage system. The
petition must be signed by at least 26 percent of the owners of the property or by the owners of at
least 26 percent of the area of the property that the lateral passes over. The petition must be filed
with the auditor, or for property in more than one county, the petition must be filed with the auditor
of the county with the largest property area to be passed over by the lateral. The petition must:
(1) describe in general terms the starting point, general course, and terminus of the proposed
(2) describe the property traversed by the lateral including the names and addresses of the
property owners from records in the county assessor's office;
(3) state the necessity to construct the lateral;
(4) state that, if constructed, the lateral will be of public benefit and utility and promote
the public health;
(5) request that the lateral be constructed and connected with the drainage system; and
(6) provide that the petitioners will pay all costs incurred if the proceedings are dismissed or
if a contract for the construction of the lateral is not awarded.
(b) The petitioners shall give the bond required by section
103E.202, subdivision 5
Subd. 2. Establishment procedure.
After the petition is filed, the procedure to establish and
construct the lateral is the same as that provided in this chapter to establish a drainage project.
Subd. 3. Authority necessary for property not assessed.
A lateral may not be constructed
to drain property that is not assessed benefits for the existing drainage system until express
authority for the use of the existing drainage system as an outlet for the lateral has been obtained
History: 1990 c 391 art 5 s 31