268.155 Child support deducted from unemployment benefits.
Subdivision 1. Definitions. As used in this section:
(1) "Child support obligations" means obligations that are being enforced by a child support agency pursuant to a plan described in United States Code, title 42, section 454, of the Social Security Act that has been approved by the secretary of health and human services under part D of title IV of the Social Security Act. This shall not include any type of spousal maintenance or foster care payments; and
(2) "Child support agency" means the public agency responsible for child support enforcement.
Subd. 2. Notice upon application. In an application for unemployment benefits, the applicant shall disclose if child support obligations are owed and, if so, in what state and county. If child support obligations are owed, the commissioner shall, if the applicant establishes a benefit account, notify the child support agency.
Subd. 3. Withholding of unemployment benefits. The commissioner shall deduct and withhold from any unemployment benefits payable to an applicant who owes child support obligations:
(1) the amount required pursuant to a proper order of a court or administrative agency; or
(2) if clause (1) is not applicable, the amount determined pursuant to an agreement under United States Code, title 42, section 454 (20) (B) (i), of the Social Security Act; or
(3) if clause (1) or (2) is not applicable, the amount specified by the applicant.
Subd. 4. Payment. Any amount deducted and withheld shall be paid to the child support agency, but shall for all purposes be treated as if it were paid to the applicant as unemployment benefits and paid by the applicant to the child support agency in satisfaction of the applicant's child support obligations.
Subd. 6. Renumbered subd 5