Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Capital IconMinnesota Legislature

Office of the Revisor of Statutes

94.342 Classes of land.

Subdivision 1. Class A. All land owned by the state and controlled or administered by the commissioner or by any division or agency of the Department of Natural Resources shall be known as Class A land for the purposes of sections 94.341 to 94.347. Class A land shall include school, swamp, internal improvement, and other land granted to the state by acts of Congress, state forest land, tax-forfeited land held by the state free from any trust in favor of taxing districts, and other land acquired by the state in any manner and controlled or administered as aforesaid; but this enumeration shall not be deemed exclusive.

Subd. 2. Class B. All lands heretofore or hereafter acquired by the state through tax-forfeiture, held subject to a trust in favor of taxing districts, and under the control of county authorities for classification, appraisal, and sale shall be known as Class B land for the purposes of sections 94.341 to 94.347.

Subd. 3. Class C. Land bordering on or adjacent to any meandered or other public waters and withdrawn from sale by law is Class C land. Class C land may not be given in exchange unless expressly authorized by the legislature or unless through the same exchange the state acquires land on the same or other public waters in the same general vicinity affording at least equal opportunity for access to the waters and other riparian use by the public; provided, that any exchange with the United States or any agency thereof may be made free from this limitation upon condition that the state land given in exchange bordering on public waters shall be subject to reservations by the state for public travel along the shores as provided by section 92.45, unless waived as provided in this subdivision, and that there shall be reserved by the state such additional rights of public use upon suitable portions of such state land as the commissioner of natural resources, with the approval of the Land Exchange Board, may deem necessary or desirable for camping, hunting, fishing, access to the water, and other public uses. In regard to Class B or Class C land that is contained within that portion of the Superior National Forest that is designated as the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, the condition that state land given in exchange bordering on public waters must be subject to the public travel reservations provided in section 92.45, may be waived by the land exchange board upon the recommendation of the commissioner of natural resources and, if the land is Class B land, the additional recommendation of the county board in which the land is located.

Subd. 4. State park land. Land specifically designated by law as a state park may not be given in exchange unless the land is school trust land that is exchanged for Class A or Class C land located outside a state park.

Subd. 5. School trust land. School trust land may be exchanged with other state land only if the permanent school fund advisory committee is appointed as temporary trustee of the school trust land for purposes of the exchange. The committee shall provide independent legal counsel to review the exchanges.

Subd. 6. Reuniting and severing of surface and mineral interests. (a) When making a land exchange, a goal of the Land Exchange Board shall be to reunite the surface interest with the mineral interest whenever possible.

(b) If mineral interests are severed in an exchange, the Land Exchange Board must consider the impact of severed mineral interests on minerals management.

HIST: 1941 c 393 s 2; 1949 c 373 s 1; 1969 c 1129 art 10 s 2; 1975 c 271 s 6; 1988 c 492 s 1; 1988 c 628 s 13-16; 1989 c 335 art 1 s 82

Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes