299D.06 Patrol employees who are not troopers.
(a) Department personnel must be classified employees assigned to the Division of State Patrol if they are employed to enforce:
(1) laws relating to motor vehicle equipment; school bus equipment; drivers' licenses; motor vehicle registration; motor vehicle size and weight; motor carrier insurance, registration, and safety; and motor vehicle petroleum taxes;
(2) Pollution Control Agency rules relating to motor vehicle noise abatement; and
(3) laws relating to directing the movement of vehicles.
(b) Employees engaged in these duties, while actually on the job during their working hours only, shall have power to:
(1) issue citations in lieu of arrest and continued detention; and
(2) prepare notices to appear in court for violation of these laws and rules, in the manner provided in section 169.91, subdivision 3.
(c) They shall not be armed and, except as provided in this section, shall have none of the other powers and privileges reserved to peace officers including the power to enforce traffic laws and regulations.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes