Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Minnesota Legislature

Office of the Revisor of Statutes

168.094 One-way trip permit.

Subdivision 1. Application, fee, requirements. Whenever a person seeks to operate a motor vehicle or tow a manufactured home owned by a nonresident upon the highways of this state solely for the purpose of transporting it from a point outside the state to another point outside the state, and such vehicle is not otherwise exempt from registration and taxation as provided by law, such owner shall not be required to register the vehicle and pay the tax but in lieu thereof shall apply to the registrar for a one-way trip permit and pay a fee of $10. Unless such act of transportation also requires approval by the commissioner of transportation as provided in section 169.86, such person may be permitted to proceed with such vehicle into the state, not to exceed 35 miles, to the nearest city wherein a deputy registrar is located before securing such permit. The application for permit shall be in such form and contain such information as the registrar may determine. Any motor vehicle operated under such permit shall carry no load. As used in this section, "person" includes a natural person, firm, copartnership, association, or corporation.

Subd. 2. Proceeds to highway user fund. Fees collected pursuant to subdivision 1 shall be paid into the state treasury and credited to the highway user tax distribution fund.

HIST: 1963 c 53 s 1,2; 1973 c 123 art 5 s 7; 1976 c 166 s 7; 1981 c 365 s 9; 1999 c 70 s 2