84D.04 Classification of exotic species.
Subdivision 1. Classes. The commissioner shall, as provided in this chapter, classify exotic species according to the following categories:
(1) prohibited exotic species, which may not be possessed, imported, purchased, sold, propagated, transported, or introduced except as provided in section 84D.05;
(2) regulated exotic species, which may not be introduced except as provided in section 84D.07;
(3) unlisted exotic species, which are subject to the classification procedure in section 84D.06; and
(4) unregulated exotic species, which are not subject to regulation under this chapter.
Subd. 2. Criteria. The commissioner shall consider the following criteria in classifying an exotic species under this chapter:
(1) the likelihood of introduction of the species if it is allowed to enter or exist in the state;
(2) the likelihood that the species would naturalize in the state were it introduced;
(3) the magnitude of potential adverse impacts of the species on native species and on outdoor recreation, commercial fishing, and other uses of natural resources in the state;
(4) the ability to eradicate or control the spread of the species once it is introduced in the state; and
(5) other criteria the commissioner deems appropriate.
HIST: 1996 c 385 art 1 s 4