256J.53 Post-secondary education; limitations on approval, job search requirement.
Subdivision 1. Length of program. In order for a post-secondary education or training program to be approved work activity as defined in section 256J.49, subdivision 13, clause (18), it must be a program lasting 12 months or less, and the participant must meet the requirements of subdivisions 2 and 3. A program lasting up to 24 months may be approved on an exception basis if the conditions specified in subdivisions 2 to 4 are met. A participant may not be approved for more than a total of 24 months of post-secondary education or training.
Subd. 2. Documentation supporting program. In order for a post-secondary education or training program to be an approved activity in a participant's employment plan, the participant or the employment and training service provider must provide documentation that:
(1) the participant's employment plan identifies specific goals that can only be met with the additional education or training;
(2) there are suitable employment opportunities that require the specific education or training in the area in which the participant resides or is willing to reside;
(3) the education or training will result in significantly higher wages for the participant than the participant could earn without the education or training;
(4) the participant can meet the requirements for admission into the program; and
(5) there is a reasonable expectation that the participant will complete the training program based on such factors as the participant's MFIP-S assessment, previous education, training, and work history; current motivation; and changes in previous circumstances.
Subd. 3. Satisfactory progress required. In order for a post-secondary education or training program to be an approved activity in a participant's employment plan, the participant must maintain satisfactory progress in the program. "Satisfactory progress" in an education or training program means (1) the participant remains in good standing while the participant is enrolled in the program, as defined by the education or training institution, or (2) the participant makes satisfactory progress as the term is defined in the participant's employment plan.
Subd. 4. Repayment of employment and training assistance. In order for a post-secondary education or training program lasting between 13 and 24 months to be an approved activity in a participant's employment plan, the participant must agree to repay the amount of employment and training funds paid by the county to support the individual's participation in each month of an education or training program after the 12th month of the program. Assistance obtained by the participant through the federal Pell grant program or other federal or state programs of higher education assistance must be excluded from the amount to be repaid by the participant. The participant and the county agency must develop a mutually acceptable repayment plan. The repayment plan must not assess any interest charges on the cost of the funds to be repaid. The loan is considered to be in repayment status when:
(1) the participant completes the program and obtains suitable employment that pays annual gross wages of at least 150 percent of the federal poverty level; or
(2) the participant leaves the program before completion of the program and obtains suitable employment that pays annual gross wages of at least 150 percent of the federal poverty level.
Subd. 5. Job search after completion of work activity. If a participant's employment plan includes a post-secondary educational or training program, the plan must include an anticipated completion date for those activities. At the time the education or training is completed, the participant must participate in job search. If, after three months of job search, the participant does not find a job that is consistent with the participant's employment goal, the participant must accept any offer of suitable employment.
HIST: 1997 c 85 art 1 s 44
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes