122A.25 Nonlicensed community experts; variance.
Subdivision 1. Authorization. Notwithstanding any law or state board of education rule to the contrary, the board of teaching may allow school districts or charter schools to hire nonlicensed community experts to teach in the public schools or charter schools on a limited basis according to this section.
Subd. 2. Applications; criteria. The school district or charter school shall apply to the board of teaching for approval to hire nonlicensed teaching personnel from the community. In approving or disapproving the application for each community expert, the board shall consider:
(1) the qualifications of the community person whom the district or charter school proposes to employ;
(2) the reasons for the need for a variance from the teacher licensure requirements;
(3) the district's efforts to obtain licensed teachers, who are acceptable to the school board, for the particular course or subject area or the charter school's efforts to obtain licensed teachers for the particular course or subject area;
(4) the amount of teaching time for which the community expert would be hired;
(5) the extent to which the district or charter school is utilizing other nonlicensed community experts under this section;
(6) the nature of the community expert's proposed teaching responsibility; and
(7) the proposed level of compensation to the community expert.
Subd. 3. Approval of plan. The board of teaching shall approve or disapprove an application within 60 days of receiving it from a school district or charter school.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes