253.28 State-operated, community-based programs for persons with mental illness.
Subdivision 1. Programs for persons with mental illness. Beginning July 1, 1991, the commissioner may establish a system of state-operated, community-based programs for persons with mental illness. For purposes of this section, "state-operated, community-based program" means a program administered by the state to provide treatment and habilitation in community settings to persons with mental illness. Employees of the programs must be state employees under chapters 43A and 179A. The role of state-operated services must be defined within the context of a comprehensive system of services for persons with mental illness. Services may include, but are not limited to, community residential treatment facilities for children and adults.
Subd. 2. Location of programs for persons with mental illness. In determining the location of state-operated, community-based programs, the needs of the individual clients shall be paramount. The commissioner shall take into account:
(1) the personal preferences of the persons being served and their families;
(2) location of the support services needed by the persons being served as established by an individual service plan;
(3) the appropriate grouping of the persons served;
(4) the availability of qualified staff;
(5) the need for state-operated, community-based programs in the geographical region of the state; and
(6) a reasonable commuting distance from a regional treatment center or the residences of the program staff.
Subd. 3. Evaluation of community-based services development. The commissioner shall develop an integrated approach to assessing and improving the quality of community-based services including state-operated programs to persons with mental illness. The commissioner shall evaluate the progress of the development and quality of the community-based services to determine if further development can proceed. The commissioner shall report results of the evaluation to the legislature by January 31, 1993.
HIST: 1989 c 282 art 6 s 28
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes