123B.37 PROHIBITED FEES.
Subdivision 1. Boards shall not charge certain fees.
(a) A board is not authorized to
charge fees in the following areas:
(1) textbooks, workbooks, art materials, laboratory supplies, towels;
(2) supplies necessary for participation in any instructional course except as authorized
(3) field trips that are required as a part of a basic education program or course;
(4) graduation caps, gowns, any specific form of dress necessary for any educational
program, and diplomas;
(5) instructional costs for necessary school personnel employed in any course or educational
program required for graduation;
(6) library books required to be utilized for any educational course or program;
(7) admission fees, dues, or fees for any activity the pupil is required to attend;
(8) any admission or examination cost for any required educational course or program;
(9) locker rentals;
(10) transportation to and from school of pupils living two miles or more from school.
(b) Notwithstanding paragraph (a), clauses (1) and (6), a board may charge fees for
textbooks, workbooks, and library books, lost or destroyed by students. The board must annually
notify parents or guardians and students about its policy to charge a fee under this paragraph.
Subd. 2. Boards shall not withhold grades or diplomas for nonpayment of student fees.
No pupil's rights or privileges, including the receipt of grades or diplomas may be denied or
abridged for nonpayment of fees; but this provision does not prohibit a district from maintaining
any action provided by law for the collection of fees authorized by sections
History: 1974 c 561 s 4; 1976 c 271 s 20; 1988 c 718 art 2 s 2; 1991 c 130 s 37; 1992 c
499 art 12 s 29; 1Sp1995 c 3 art 9 s 5; 1996 c 412 art 2 s 5; 1998 c 397 art 1 s 51,58; art 11
s 3; 1Sp2001 c 6 art 1 s 7