609.125 SENTENCE FOR MISDEMEANOR OR GROSS MISDEMEANOR.
Subdivision 1. Sentences available.
Upon conviction of a misdemeanor or gross
misdemeanor the court, if sentence is imposed, may, to the extent authorized by law, sentence
(1) to imprisonment for a definite term; or
(2) to payment of a fine, or to imprisonment for a specified term if the fine is not paid; or
(3) to both imprisonment for a definite term and payment of a fine; or
(4) to payment of court-ordered restitution in addition to either imprisonment or payment
of a fine, or both; or
(5) to payment of a local correctional fee as authorized under section
in addition to
any other sentence imposed by the court; or
(6) to perform work service in a restorative justice program in addition to any other sentence
imposed by the court.
Subd. 2. Restitution.
(a) As used in this section, "restitution" includes:
(1) payment of compensation to the victim or the victim's family; and
(2) if the victim is deceased or already has been fully compensated, payment of money to a
victim assistance program or other program directed by the court.
"Restitution" includes payment of compensation to a government entity that incurs loss as
a direct result of a crime.
(b) When the defendant does not pay the entire amount of court-ordered restitution and the
fine at the same time, the court may order that all restitution shall be paid before the fine is paid.
History: 1963 c 753 art 1 s 609.125; 1971 c 25 s 91; 1984 c 610 s 2; 1992 c 571 art 11 s 14;
1995 c 244 s 11; 1996 c 408 art 7 s 3; 1997 c 239 art 3 s 6; art 7 s 17