5B.03 ADDRESS CONFIDENTIALITY PROGRAM.
Subdivision 1. Application.
The secretary of state shall certify an eligible person as a
program participant when the secretary receives an application that must contain:
(1) the name of the eligible person;
(2) a statement by the applicant that the applicant has good reason to believe (i) that the
eligible person listed on the application is a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or
stalking, (ii) that the eligible person fears for the person's safety or the safety of persons on whose
behalf the application is made, and (iii) that the eligible person is not applying for certification as
a program participant in order to avoid prosecution for a crime;
(3) a designation of the secretary of state as agent for purposes of service of process and
for the purpose of receipt of mail;
(4) the mailing address where the eligible person can be contacted by the secretary of state,
and the phone number or numbers where the applicant or eligible person can be called by the
secretary of state;
(5) the physical address or addresses of the eligible person, disclosure of which will increase
the risk of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking;
(6) a statement whether the eligible person would like information on becoming an ongoing
absentee ballot recipient pursuant to section 5B.06; and
(7) the signature of the applicant, an indicator of the applicant's authority to act on behalf
of the eligible person, if appropriate, the name and signature of any individual or representative
of any person who assisted in the preparation of the application, and the date on which the
application was signed.
Subd. 2. Filing.
Applications must be filed with the secretary of state and are subject to the
provisions of section 5.15.
Subd. 3. Certification.
Upon filing a completed application, the secretary of state shall
certify the eligible person as a program participant. Program participants shall be certified for four
years following the date of filing unless the certification is canceled, withdrawn or invalidated
before that date. The secretary of state shall by rule establish a renewal procedure.
Subd. 4. Changes in information.
Program participants or applicants must inform the
secretary of state of any changes in the information submitted on the application.
Subd. 5. Designated address.
The secretary of state must designate a mailing address to
which all mail for program participants is to be sent.
Subd. 6. Attaining age of majority.
An individual who became a program participant as
a minor assumes responsibility for changes in information and renewal when the individual
reaches age 18.
History: 2006 c 242 s 3