216D.05 PRECAUTIONS TO AVOID DAMAGE.
An excavator shall:
(1) plan the excavation to avoid damage to and minimize interference with underground
facilities in and near the construction area;
(2) use white markings for proposed excavations except where it can be shown that it is not
(3) maintain a clearance between an underground facility and the cutting edge or point of any
mechanized equipment, considering the known limit of control of the cutting edge or point to
avoid damage to the facility;
(4) provide support for underground facilities in and near the construction area, including
during backfill operations, to protect the facilities; and
(5) conduct the excavation in a careful and prudent manner.
History: 1987 c 353 s 11; 1998 c 348 s 4; 2004 c 163 s 7