136A.01 Higher Education Services Office.
Subdivision 1. Creation. An office for higher education in the state of Minnesota, to be known as the Minnesota Higher Education Services Office or HESO, is created with a director appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the senate and serving at the pleasure of the governor.
Subd. 2. Responsibilities. The Higher Education Services Office is responsible for:
(1) necessary state level administration of financial aid programs, including accounting, auditing, and disbursing state and federal financial aid funds, and reporting on financial aid programs to the governor and the legislature;
(3) administering the Learning Network of Minnesota;
(4) negotiating and administering reciprocity agreements;
(5) publishing and distributing financial aid information and materials, and other information and materials under section 136A.87, to students and parents;
(6) collecting and maintaining student enrollment and financial aid data and reporting data on students and postsecondary institutions to develop and implement a process to measure and report on the effectiveness of postsecondary institutions;
(7) administering the federal programs that affect students and institutions on a statewide basis; and
(8) prescribing policies, procedures, and rules under chapter 14 necessary to administer the programs under its supervision.