Subdivision 1. License required. A person may not take, possess, or transport turtles without an angling license, except as provided in subdivision 2.
Subd. 2. Seller's license. (a) A person may not take, possess, transport, or purchase turtles for sale without a turtle seller's license, except as provided in this subdivision.
(b) A person does not need a turtle seller's license or an angling license:
(1) when buying turtles for resale at a retail outlet;
(2) when buying a turtle at a retail outlet; or
(3) if the person is a nonresident buying a turtle from a licensed turtle seller for export out of state. Shipping documents provided by the turtle seller must accompany each shipment exported out of state by a nonresident. Shipping documents must include: name, address, city, state, and zip code of the buyer; number of each species of turtle; and name and license number of the turtle seller.
Subd. 3. Taking; methods prohibited. (a) Except as allowed in paragraph (b), a person may take turtles in any manner, except by use of:
(1) explosives, drugs, poisons, lime, and other harmful substances;
(2) traps; or
(3) nets other than anglers' fish landing nets.
(b) A person with a turtle seller's license may take turtles with a floating turtle trap that:
(1) has one or more openings above the water surface that measure at least ten inches by four inches; and
(2) has a mesh size of not less than one-half inch, bar measure.
The commissioner may prescribe additional regulations for taking turtles for sale.
Subd. 4. Artificial lights. The commissioner may issue permits to take turtles with the use of artificial lights in designated waters.