Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Capital IconMinnesota Legislature

Office of the Revisor of Statutes

16B.24 General authority.

Subdivision 1. Operation and maintenance of buildings. The commissioner is authorized to maintain and operate the state capitol building and grounds, subject to whatever standards and policies are set for its appearance and cleanliness by the capitol area architectural and planning board and the commissioner under section 15.50, subdivision 2, clause (h), and the state office building, the judicial center, the economic security buildings in Minneapolis and St. Paul, the state department of health building, and the surplus property building, and their grounds, and, when the commissioner considers it advisable and practicable, any other building or premises owned or rented by the state for the use of a state agency. The commissioner shall assign and reassign office space in the capitol and state buildings to make an equitable division of available space among agencies. The commissioner shall regularly update the long-range strategic plan for locating agencies and shall follow the plan in assigning and reassigning space to agencies. The plan must include locational and urban design criteria, a cost-analysis method to be used in weighing state ownership against leasing of space in specific instances, and a transportation management plan. If the commissioner determines that a deviation from the plan is necessary or desirable in a specific instance, the commissioner shall provide the legislature with a timely written explanation of the reasons for the deviation. The power granted in this subdivision does not apply to state hospitals or to educational, penal, correctional, or other institutions not enumerated in this subdivision the control of which is vested by law in some other agency.

Subd. 2. Repairs. The commissioner shall supervise and control the making of necessary repairs to all state buildings and structures, except:

(1) structures, other than buildings, under the control of the state transportation department; and

(2) buildings and structures under the control of the board of trustees of the Minnesota state colleges and universities.

All repairs to the public and ceremonial areas and the exterior of the state capitol building shall be carried out subject to the standards and policies of the capitol area architectural and planning board and the commissioner of administration adopted pursuant to section 15.50, subdivision 2, clause (h).

Subd. 3. Disposal of old buildings. The commissioner, upon request of the head of an agency which has control of a state-owned building which is no longer used or which is a fire or safety hazard, shall, after obtaining approval of the chairs of the senate finance committee and house of representatives appropriations committee, sell, wreck, or otherwise dispose of the building. In the event a sale is made the proceeds shall be deposited in the proper account or in the general fund.

Subd. 3a. Sale of real property. By February 1 of each year, the commissioner shall report to the chairs of the senate committee on finance and the house of representatives committees on ways and means and capital investment all sales or other transfers of real property owned by the state that have taken place in the preceding calendar year. The report shall include a description of the property, reason for the sale, the name of the buyer, and the price for which the property was sold. Sales of easements need not be included. This subdivision does not apply to real property held by the department of natural resources, the department of transportation, or the board of water and soil resources, except for real property that has been used for office space by any of those agencies. This subdivision does not apply to property owned by the board of trustees of the Minnesota state colleges and universities or the University of Minnesota.

Subd. 4. Inspections; appraisals; inventories. The commissioner shall provide for the periodic inspection and appraisal of all state property, real and personal, and for current and perpetual inventories of all state property. The commissioner shall require agencies to make reports of the real and personal property in their custody at the intervals and in the form the commissioner considers necessary.

Subd. 5. Renting out state property. (a) Authority. The commissioner may rent out state property, real or personal, that is not needed for public use, if the rental is not otherwise provided for or prohibited by law. The property may not be rented out for more than five years at a time without the approval of the state executive council and may never be rented out for more than 25 years. A rental agreement may provide that the state will reimburse a tenant for a portion of capital improvements that the tenant makes to state real property if the state does not permit the tenant to renew the lease at the end of the rental agreement.

(b) Restrictions. Paragraph (a) does not apply to state trust fund lands, other state lands under the jurisdiction of the department of natural resources, lands forfeited for delinquent taxes, lands acquired under section 298.22, or lands acquired under section 41.56 which are under the jurisdiction of the department of agriculture.

(c) Fort Snelling Chapel; rental. The Fort Snelling Chapel, located within the boundaries of Fort Snelling State Park, is available for use only on payment of a rental fee. The commissioner shall establish rental fees for both public and private use. The rental fee for private use by an organization or individual must reflect the reasonable value of equivalent rental space. Rental fees collected under this section must be deposited in the general fund.

(d) Rental of living accommodations. The commissioner shall establish rental rates for all living accommodations provided by the state for its employees. Money collected as rent by state agencies pursuant to this paragraph must be deposited in the state treasury and credited to the general fund.

(e) Lease of space in certain state buildings to state agencies. The commissioner may lease portions of the state-owned buildings in the capitol complex, the capitol square building, the health building, the Duluth government center, and the building at 1246 University Avenue, St. Paul, Minnesota, to state agencies and the court administrator on behalf of the judicial branch of state government and charge rent on the basis of space occupied. Notwithstanding any law to the contrary, all money collected as rent pursuant to the terms of this section shall be deposited in the state treasury. Money collected as rent to recover the depreciation and bond interest costs of a building funded from the state bond proceeds fund shall be credited to the general fund. Money collected as rent to recover capital expenditures from capital asset preservation and replacement appropriations and statewide building access appropriations shall be credited to a segregated account in a special revenue fund. Money in the account is appropriated to the commissioner to be expended for asset preservation projects as determined by the commissioner. Money collected as rent to recover the depreciation and interest costs of a building built with other state dedicated funds shall be credited to the dedicated fund which funded the original acquisition or construction. All other money received shall be credited to the general services revolving fund.

Subd. 6. Property leases. (a) Leases. The commissioner shall lease land and other premises when necessary for state purposes. Notwithstanding subdivision 6a, paragraph (a), the commissioner may lease land or premises for up to ten years, subject to cancellation upon 30 days' written notice by the state for any reason except lease of other non-state-owned land or premises for the same use. The commissioner may not lease non-state-owned land and buildings or substantial portions of land or buildings within the capitol area as defined in section 15.50 unless the commissioner first consults with the capitol area architectural and planning board. If the commissioner enters into a lease-purchase agreement for buildings or substantial portions of buildings within the capitol area, the commissioner shall require that any new construction of non-state-owned buildings conform to design guidelines of the capitol area architectural and planning board. Lands needed by the department of transportation for storage of vehicles or road materials may be leased for five years or less, such leases for terms over two years being subject to cancellation upon 30 days written notice by the state for any reason except lease of other non-state-owned land or premises for the same use. An agency or department head must consult with the chairs of the house appropriations and senate finance committees before entering into any agreement that would cause an agency's rental costs to increase by ten percent or more per square foot or would increase the number of square feet of office space rented by the agency by 25 percent or more in any fiscal year.

(b) Use vacant public space. No agency may initiate or renew a lease for space for its own use in a private building unless the commissioner has thoroughly investigated presently vacant space in public buildings, such as closed school buildings, and found that none is available or use of the space is not feasible, prudent, and cost-effective compared with available alternatives.

(c) Preference for certain buildings. For needs beyond those which can be accommodated in state-owned buildings, the commissioner shall acquire and utilize space in suitable buildings of historical, architectural, or cultural significance for the purposes of this subdivision unless use of that space is not feasible, prudent and cost-effective compared with available alternatives. Buildings are of historical, architectural, or cultural significance if they are listed on the national register of historic places, designated by a state or county historical society, or designated by a municipal preservation commission.

(d) Recycling space. Leases for space of 30 days or more for 5,000 square feet or more must require that space be provided for recyclable materials.

Subd. 6a. Lease-purchase agreement; cancellation. (a) With the approval of the commissioner of finance and the recommendation of the legislative advisory commission, the commissioner of administration may enter into lease-purchase agreements. A lease-purchase agreement must provide the state with a unilateral right to purchase the leased premises at specified times for specified amounts. Under these lease agreements, the lease rental rates shall not be more than market rental rates. Notwithstanding subdivision 6, the term of the lease may be for more than ten years, but must not exceed 20 years. Prior to exercising the state's right to purchase the premises, the purchase must be approved by an act of the legislature.

(b) A lease-purchase agreement entered into under paragraph (a) must be subject to cancellation by the state for any reason except lease of other non-state-owned land or premises for the same use.

Subd. 7. Power, heating, and lighting plants. The commissioner shall inspect all state power, heating, and lighting plants, make rules governing their operation, and recommend improvements in the plants which will promote their economical and efficient operation.

Subd. 8. Regional service center. The commissioner may establish a regional service center on a demonstration basis. The commissioner shall select agencies to participate in the demonstration service center and determine equitable methods of sharing space, personnel and equipment. The commissioner may enter into a lease for a base term of five years with a five year leasehold renewal option to acquire suitable space for the service center.

Subd. 9. Smoking in state buildings. (a) To protect the public health, comfort, and environment and to protect the nonsmoker's right to a smoke-free environment, smoking in all buildings managed or leased by the commissioner under subdivisions 1 and 6 is prohibited except in veterans homes where smoking areas have been designated under a policy adopted in accordance with paragraph (b).

(b) A veterans home may permit smoking only in designated areas, providing that existing physical barriers and ventilation systems can be used to prevent the presence of smoke in adjacent nonsmoking areas.

No employee complaining of a violation of this subdivision to a lessor, lessee, manager, or supervisor may be subjected to any disciplinary action as a result of making the complaint.

Subd. 10. Child care/workplace school space. For state office space that is leased, purchased, or substantially remodeled after August 1, 1988, the commissioner shall consider including space usable for child care services or for a workplace school. Space must be included if the commissioner determines that it is needed and that it could be provided at reasonable cost. The commissioner may prepare sites as a common usage space for the capitol complex.

Subd. 11. Recycling of fluorescent lamps. When a fluorescent lamp containing mercury is removed from service in a building or premises owned by the state or rented by the state, the commissioner shall ensure that the lamp is recycled if a recycling facility, which has been licensed or permitted by the agency or is operated subject to a compliance agreement with, or other approval by, the commissioner, is available in this state.

HIST: 1983 c 216 art 1 s 87; 1984 c 544 s 29; 1Sp1985 c 13 s 121; 1986 c 444; 1987 c 98 s 1; 1988 c 613 s 9,10; 1988 c 685 s 1; 1988 c 686 art 1 s 44,45; 1989 c 335 art 1 s 62; 1990 c 506 art 2 s 11; 1990 c 572 s 4,5; 1990 c 594 art 1 s 46; 1991 c 345 art 1 s 60; 1992 c 514 s 5,6; 1992 c 558 s 33; 1993 c 192 s 70; 1993 c 249 s 4; 1994 c 483 s 1; 1994 c 634 art 1 s 2; 1994 c 643 s 39; 1Sp1995 c 2 art 1 s 23; 1996 c 395 s 18; 1996 c 463 s 33,34; 1997 c 202 art 2 s 23; 1997 c 206 s 1,2

Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes