language to be deleted (2) new language
relating to natural resources; increasing civil penalties for violations of snowmobile and off-highway vehicle provisions;
amending Minnesota Statutes 2020, section 84.775, subdivisions 1, 4.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:
(a) A conservation officer or other licensed peace officer may issue a civil citation to a person who operates:
(3) an all-terrain vehicle in violation of sections 84.773, subdivision 1 or 2, clause (1); 84.777; deleted text begin84.90;deleted text end or 84.922 to 84.928deleted text begin.deleted text endnew text beginnew text end
new text begin new text end
new text begin new text end
(b) A civil citation under paragraph (a) shall require restitution for public and private property damage and impose a penalty of:
(1) deleted text begin$100deleted text endnew text beginnew text end for the first offense;
(2) deleted text begin$200deleted text endnew text beginnew text end for the second offense; and
(3) deleted text begin$500deleted text endnew text beginnew text end for third and subsequent offenses.
(c) A conservation officer or other licensed peace officer may issue a civil citation to a person who operates an off-highway motorcycle, off-road vehicle, or all-terrain vehicle in violation of section 84.773, subdivision 2, clause (2) or (3). A civil citation under this paragraph shall require restitution for damage to wetlands and impose a penalty of:
(1) $100 for the first offense;
(2) $500 for the second offense; and
(3) $1,000 for third and subsequent offenses.
(d) If the peace officer determines that there is damage to property requiring restitution, the commissioner must send a written explanation of the extent of the damage and the cost of the repair by first class mail to the address provided by the person receiving the citation within 15 days of the date of the citation.
(e) An off-road vehicle that is equipped with a snorkel device and receives a civil citation under this section is subject to twice the penalty amounts in paragraphs (b) and (c).
Penalty amounts collected from civil citations issued under this section must be paid to the treasury of the unit of government employing the officer that issued the civil citation. Penalties retained by the commissioner shall be credited as follows: to the off-highway motorcycle account under section 84.794 for citations involving off-highway motorcycles; to the off-road vehicle account under section 84.803 for citations involving off-road vehicles; deleted text beginordeleted text end to the all-terrain vehicle account under section 84.927 for citations involving all-terrain vehiclesnew text beginnew text end. Penalty amounts credited under this subdivision are dedicated for deleted text beginthe enforcement ofdeleted text endnew text beginnew text end off-highway vehicle lawsnew text beginnew text end.
Presented to the governor April 11, 2022
Signed by the governor April 13, 2022, 1:30 p.m.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes